Start Fig tree

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

pgiglio

I am told you can start a fig tree from branches of another tree.
Is this true. If so How would you go about doing this. I have taken branches from my father. Put them in dirt they start to root then stop...

Kya D

Hi welcome to GF Some one her is sure to know the answer to your question, til then welcome and ENJOY our GF family...

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I shall be following along with you ... As I also have tried several times to start fig trees from branches...only to fail after a year's growth...I am thinking they need to be grafted to another tree...I would very much like to grow a few...I thought that would not be possiable after we moved back to Oregon ...but have a friend up here that has 10 trees in ...they are just ripening now...
Oh By the way Welcome to the place ...

pgiglio

Being from Jersey we have lots of Italians around here,plus I am second Gen Italian .
My uncles just take branches from teh bottom growth and suspend it between two stakes and put the cut end into dirt. Usually around april on the East coast . Low an dbehold they grow. We have some that are 8-10 feet tall and real wide./

I am trying to get a jump on the spring and have it partially grown by them

Spider_Lily

I had a fig tree push up from where we put our home.Some of the limb's broke and were covered over with dirt.They rooted and I replanted two of them.Now one is a huge tree.must be easy to take root .

Dor

My neighbor gave me a small fig tree in May but it didn't make it. I watered it every other day. Our summers are too hot. I sure would like to have one. My sone is not here so I don't have anyone to dig up another one for me.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Dor I now wonder it it was to hot where I was also...but I did see a few fig tres growing then

Blueaussi

I was told to prune the fig tree during the coldest part of the year, and then put the branches in dirt. A dear friend of mine wanted some rooted and I said I would try. I did, and they rooted well. Smaller branches did better than large branches, but, truly, I just pushed them into the ground in January, and most of them sprouted leaves in the spring.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Yes I made preserves.I put up 12 pint's all I needed and gave the rest away.

:D that is wonderful...thanks for the rencourage word...I am going to try once again...I talked to my friend this morning that has several trees...When he prunes I can have branches...

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Dor, I am going to get the cuttings in the next month or so....so I thought I would start them in the greenhouse for a few months and see how it goes...if nothing eles I can get more branches when the weather warms...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com