Storm Updates

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I have a spare computer sitting on the floor behind me, but there are enough other computers in the house to where that isn't really an issue. I need to work on the kids computer today. It quit accessing the internet and that makes it difficult for homework. I am going to reformat the hard drive to clean everything off and start from scratch. Alec is using my wife's computer in the meantime. I can't really complain about the weather, but I will anyway. It has been raining heavily over the last 24 hours. It has stopped momentarily, but will continue over the next few days.

Using my phone need to get wireless keyboard for the tv. Got to read the book on how to use it as u don't need a keyboard. Wind is picking up here darn plastic came off my door so my nephew came and helped put up a tarp. Tape doesn't want to hold. Praying it stays in place. Will be up all night watching it. 74 mph wind off Portland news just said. Heavy wind is coming and will be bad until 10pm then slow down some

Glad you guys are alright!
You're right Woodie...it's not over yet!
The winds are picking up again here...still out of the NE!
Sandy is still coming north.....

My sister called from where they evacuated to in Newton NJ!
They have no power and have not heard any news about how bad the devasted was!
I tried to relay to her what CNN is reporting and it doesn't sound too good in Ocean Grove being at sea level!
The devastation across NJ is just unbelieveable!!!!!
Told her a bit of what the govenor said in his report on the scope of the damage.
She tried to say that they wanted to go see their home, but I told her to stay put for a few days! She said she will relay what I told her to the group she evacuated with and the retreat centre they are staying with!

ron I saw pics of ocean grove, and its not good from what I saw.......so much devastation.....its going to be heartbreaking for millions of people......

The house she was staying at was a block away from the ocean so I figured that they may not be able to go back....I just didn't say anything to her when she called!
It will be heart wrenching when they finally do go to have a look!
The house is used for addiction counselling, and have other homes in the same area!
My sister went to help them out! She's with the Sisters of Notra Dame!

I haven't heard from her today! She had to use her cell phone to call since there still is no power where she is....

ron, its not going to be good news for your sister......from what I saw of ocean grove, the place is so devastated that she may not have a place to come home too......so sorry for her if this is true, and we will all keep her in our prayers....

no power down there, so no cell phones to even check in with friends or neighbors...they are still rescueing people off roofs in many places...even In staten island where Im originally from........such devastation all along the coast, it just breaks your heart to see it, and what it will mean for so many people.......you can really feel now what it was like for the people of katrina, like our dear netpeach.....God bless her for having the strength to carry on.......now I know why I love that women so much.....

Such a shame for all those people who got the brunt of the storm.
Sorry I let you guys down with keeping things posted, but I had a storm of sorts of my own and just couldn't get the time to get on line.

New Jersey really took a beating. I had posted on FB and the weather channel about heeding the warnings of officials and got made fun of. I sure hope those people see now why I said what I said. While weather forecasters can "try" to predict where a storm is going and how bad it will be, they do make mistakes. But all I can say is better safe than sorry. I pray for those suffering and those who lost their lives.

Glad all my GF family is safe!

Morning everyone....checking to see how GG people faired through this vicious storm. We were very fortunate on the east coast of Canada in that it was just high winds and heavy downpours - periodically - plus thunder storms. This storm was originally to be a direct hit on us ten days ago - but took that left turn, got gobbled up by the Nor'ester, which made it massive, then joined up by the Gulf Stream and that is why it was so destructive. The loss of HMS Bounty too was very heart breaking. I cannot imagine a Captain taking his ship out in that storm, thinking he could get around it ... the weather people knew how huge this storm was, encompassing a 900 mile area.
I have never seen anything like this before. Will be years cleaning up from this one. My prayers to those still in peril, those who lost their lives and those who are helping with the clean up.

Hoping to hear from my sister today!
We've been watching all the footage of the destruction in NJ on CNN!
She may not have a home to go back to!
Knowing her, she will stay as long as she is needed once they make plans on what they will be doing!

This is not something people in the NJ area would have ever anticipated from a hurricane based storm. Hope your sister's home was spared - some were, some weren't so lucky.

Jules
Their home was only a block away from the ocean!
It doesn't look good but we are hoping!

Stranger things have happend and we can only hope and pray that they have been spared. The news has great coverage, but we have to remember that they show the worse case scenario footage. I'm an optimist :)

Im glad that your sister heeded the advice and left her home ROn......she may not have anything to come back to but she has her life.......I just found out one of my bosses in the city lost his house to the breezy pte fires in brooklyn.......so sad......still two friends from NJ that no one can reach yet.....hope they are ok and that they left.....many people who didnt leave, regretted not leaving now.......they never thought this would happen and it hasnt since the 1950's....but never say never.....now they are stranded, and stuck until rescue can come to them.....without power, without food ......without bathrooms.......what a mess this storm made...

Haven't heard anything today!
Hopefully tomorrow!
Her cell phone is probably out of power!
I know she's safe where she is, and I know that they want to go and see if their is anything left of the house! Just hope they wait longer!

Last edited:
if her area is still a disaster......she will not be able to back down there yet.......
I heard on the news this morning, a possibility of a noreaster coming this way next week.......thats all we need.......I pray its not true.....

No - a Nor'ester at this point would be disasterous. Winter on the horizon must be difficult enough for these people to think about. It was the Nor'ester that intensified Sandy and made her so big and angry.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back