Stretch That Bird

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Bernie

DH and I love those Rotisserie chickens at Costco but can’t eat a whole one. I buy the biggest bird then de-bone the leftovers. I freeze it in 1 cup packages and pull it out as needed. It’s great on top of chef’s salad. Here are some other ways I use the leftovers.

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas (A Family Favorite)

1 Sm. Onion Chopped
1 can (10/-3/4 oz.) reduced-fat reduced sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted.
1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies, un-drained.
I am allergic to chilies so I use green peppers instead.
1 cup (8 oz.) fat-free sour cream
1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese, divided.
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
6 fat-free flour tortillas (8 ½”) (I use eight)
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast.
In a skillet or saucepan coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion until tender. Remove from heat. Add soup, tomatoes, sour cream, and ¾ cup of each of the cheeses; mix well. Place 3 tablespoons on each tortilla, top with 1/3 cup chicken. Roll up tightly.
Place seam side down in a 9” X 13” X 2” baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
Bake uncovered at 350 for 20 to 25 minuets or until heated through.
Makes 6 servings.
This really freezes well. When I have company coming I make it a head of time and freeze. I leave off the top layer of cheeses then add it when I bake it. It just looks better. I also cut the tortillas in half before baking; this just makes it a lot easier to serve and it just cuts easier before baking.
This is great with leftover Thanksgiving turkey as well.

CHICKEN PIE WITH BISCUITS

1# Chicken
1 Rib Celery, diced
Parsley Flakes, Salt and Pepper to taste.

Boil until tender in water. Reserve broth.
Remove chicken, cool enough to handle. Remove skin and pull meat from bones in large pieces.

1/4 C Diced Carrots
1 Potato, diced

In 3 cups of broth (add water if needed) boil vegetables until just tender. Add your favorite vegetables. Peas are good.
Make a Roux:
1/3 cup Butter or margarine
1/3 cup Flour

Add broth to Roux and mix well. Add chicken and vegetables. Pour into casserole and top with biscuits.
Bake at 450 for 18 minuets.

Biscuits

Mix together until crumbly:
1-3/4 C Flour
1/2 Tsp. Salt
2-1/2 Tsp. Baking powder
1/3 C Shortening
Add:
1/2 C Milk
Mix well, shape into biscuits.
Biscuits may be baked on cookie sheet at 450 for 10 to 12 minuets.

I use leftover Rotisserie Chicken or Turkey and cook the veggies in canned chicken broth. You can also use canned biscuits if you like; just follow the timing on the can when baking.

Taquitos

In each corn tortillas place a tablespoon of shredded chicken. Top with a teaspoon of salsa. Roll tightly and fry in ¼” of oil until golden. Turn until all sides are golden. Do Not deep fry. Drain and sprinkle with salt as soon as it comes out of the skillet. Sever with more salsa and sour cream but its great just plain. This is makes a great snack or lunch.
Enjoy!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com