super corn!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

If it's a good day to plant it's not a good day to kill weeds. You can kill them but try to knock of all the dirt to the weeds if possible.

Well, if you could only see how many weeds I have in my garden. It would take weeks to pull them. I am going to spray them. Then wait til saturday to plant.

We tried to grow some sweetcorn in Ontario many years back, when I first moved there. It was coming along famously and almost ripe. We were over at our neighbors on the deck and I heard loud chuckling coming from our sweetcorn patch. The danged racoons had found it and ate almost every ear. That was it for me growing sweetcorn. Now our yard is too small and we back onto the woods, so, I will just buy us a half dozen once a week or so. Ex hubby and I used to grow two acres of sweetcorn to sell at the farmers market, and on a wagon beside the road. We used to spray it with "Hinder" to keep the deer away. I believe that is an animal urine product. It wasn't cheap, but it worked.

My corn is at 4' right now starting to see some ear formation. I just go organic from start to finish. If you plant by a waxing moon you do get taller corn and better production. Ron is right size does not matter in height of corn stalks, It's production you should be concerend with. The reason I asked if Corn Freak had eaten any of that huge corn is because there is a strain of corn used as fodder that grows quick, and large but taste like his description of last years yellow corn. We call it field corn here in the south. It is used for ethanol and feed stock.

Glad you pointed that out Crabber, there is certainly a difference. Although..you can eat field corn if it's harvested early before maturity and it's still soft and has milk in it. Otherwise make yourself some ethanol or grain alcohol (also known as ever-clear) and ride cheaper. Do not drink any of this and drive... it can be hazzardous to your health auto insurance and wallet...LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

Dale
I looked up on the link that I had posted in the thread about planting by the moon and it said sat and sun were good days to plant
i tried to understand the link you posted but couldn't find my way to the info
i tried to see if there was different times for different parts of the us but didn't find anything on either site

this is from this site
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/home_garden/gardening

19-20 Favorable days for planting root crops. Also good for vine crops that can be planted now. Set strawberry plants.

21-22 Poor planting, fine for cultivating or spraying.

23-24 First day good for planting root crops. Second day favorable for planting beans, corn, cotton, tomatoes, peppers, and other above ground crops.

25-26 Any seed started now will tend to rot.

27-28 Most favorable for corn, cotton, okra, beans, peppers, eggplant, and other above ground crops. Plant seed beds and flower gardens.

29-31 A barren period. Good for killing plant pests, cultivating, or taking a short vacation.

Guess I won't plant any seeds on Memorial day. Will have to plant my garden on sun according to this.

Glad you pointed that out Crabber, there is certainly a difference. Although..you can eat field corn if it's harvested early before maturity and it's still soft and has milk in it. Otherwise make yourself some ethanol or grain alcohol (also known as ever-clear) and ride cheaper. Do not drink any of this and drive... it can be hazzardous to your health auto insurance and wallet...LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

LOL! moonshine anyone????

Don't know how to make moonshine but I can tell you how to make a potent cough syrup. That's what I call it, others say it's stronger than any homemade wine they tasted. Only takes grapes, sugar and large jar with a lid.

this is from this site
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/home_garden/gardening

19-20 Favorable days for planting root crops. Also good for vine crops that can be planted now. Set strawberry plants.

21-22 Poor planting, fine for cultivating or spraying.

23-24 First day good for planting root crops. Second day favorable for planting beans, corn, cotton, tomatoes, peppers, and other above ground crops.

25-26 Any seed started now will tend to rot.

27-28 Most favorable for corn, cotton, okra, beans, peppers, eggplant, and other above ground crops. Plant seed beds and flower gardens.

29-31 A barren period. Good for killing plant pests, cultivating, or taking a short vacation.

Guess I won't plant any seeds on Memorial day. Will have to plant my garden on sun according to this.

well its all most 87 f here..i water 3 -5 gallons every 3 days..there over 7 feet now...u can almost watch them grow...would like to see a new record.

Yep I think Crabber's right about it being field or dent corn. I used to buy it from an organic feed store to give to my chickens and a couple of seeds came up in the pen. Out of curiosity I transplanted them into the garden and you could just about sit there and watch it grow. They grew to about 12 or 13 ft tall, with lots of cobs forming, then I read that they're prone to cross pollinating with sweet corn:eek: ( which were in an adjacent bed ) and subsequently pulled them out. I did manage to try a cob and found out why they're regarded in some parts as cattle feed and used to make corn chips, tortillas and such. Have fun growing them but make sure your neighbour doesn't have any sweetcorn growing nearby or you may not be too popular, lol.:)

Can I plant ornamental corn and regular corn in the same garden?
I'm just going to plant a few of each. I started some ornamental from seed and going to get a 6 pack or 2 of the eating corn to plant

Laurie if it were me I wouldn't. The cross pollination would be the same concept as the field corn near sweet corn.

Corn Freak--------was the corn you found growing on a nuke waste dump???????:D:D
Just kidding;)
I agree with the others-----it's probably some kind of cattle or fuel fodder.
Keep us posted.

Even field corn is not sweet like sweet corn. I have eaten it before but it's not to my liking.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back