Sweet, Chunk Pickle Recipe(s) Needed

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Alan in Vermont

We have quite a few of what we call "ripe" cucumbers that are ready for making into sweet pickles. Linda found a recipe for them last year and we made a batch to try. Turned out that our Son-in-Law loved them. Our daughter was going to make a batch this year but we have run into a snag, despite many hours searching through cookbooks Linda cannot find the recipe. We've got to do something soon to the cukes will go to waste.

What we remember of the recipe is: Peeled cukes get cut into fork size cubes then covered with a brine of water, sugar, vinegar and pickling spice. Brine is brought to a boil, poured over the cuke pieces and left to set for a day, then drained, reheated and put back over the cukes for three cycles, then the pickles are canned.

They come out light green, as opposed to some recipes where the pickles are a dark amber.

Does anybody know of a recipe like that?

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't help you on that one, Alan. I have made dill pickles and bread and butter pickles, but never made sweet ones.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's always the last place you look. Funny how that works :D
Alan,
I do have a sweet recipe but it is less intense than that one. I say if you are happy with that then stick with it;)

Kya D

CG it is always the last place you look cuz you are just silly if you keep looking after you find it.:) :)

gonepostal

LOL Crabber!;):D

Just got done making B&B pickles---that's what I do with any cukes that are "too big". Delish!!

SandiB

I made this SWEET PICKLE recipe this year..it is yummy :p

"This is a sweet cucumber pickle. These pickles stay crisp for up to a year in the freezer. They are so easy to make and very good ☺
Ingredients

7 cups thin sliced cucumbers ( with peel)
1 large sweet onions, medium sliced
1/2 cup green peppers, thinly sliced
1/2 cup red sweet peppers, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon pickling salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups white sugar

Directions

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
Stir well, cover and refrigerate for 3 days. Stir every day.
Pack into freezer containers and cover with brine (I use ziplock bags to have the pickles in small portions and then place the small bags in a larger freezer container). Freeze Thaw before serving.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com