Tell us how you save money!!!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

sunflower3

I too have a tracfone and get minutes every 90 days its only 20 dollars that way, had verizon and it didn't work half the time for me, and it was only for when I went shopping anyways traveling 38 miles one way why pay 70-80 a month crazy. When I shop I can save 30-40 dollars with coupons from ads and the internet too.

Kya D

We do not have any cell phone service around here so paying for a cell phone is just crazy. But it also bugs me that I have to pay for 300 minutes and only use 50. Oh well maybe that is how it has to be. I guess I'm just cheap

Jade

I know that I only have 90 days to use the 60 minutes, but it is still going to cost me only 7 bucks a month instead of 70, so it is worth it.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been clipping too. My new rule is anything less than $2. I have been taking advantage of our discount stores and it's not that bad. All my cleaning supplies and paper goods come from discount.

netpeach2000

I clip alot from the internet. After printing, I back the page up, refresh and they print again. They allow you to print 2 times each coupon. I especially love the pet treat coupons as I get alot of them. And I so love th BOGO coupons.

KallieLashay

I prefer using organic cleaning products. Vinegar is #1 on my list and works great and doesnt leave any harsh or strong odors (like some may think). There is a book (cant think of name of it) for sale that lists hundreds of ways to use vinegar!

PRH

For those that happen to wear glasses:
Instead of buying those expensive eye glass cleaners - try this method,it works well for me! Get a bottle of shampoo ( travel size will last ya along time -
It does not need to be a fancy brand either ) Anyway, wet the lenses with warm water and with two fingers, apply the shampoo to both sides of the lenses. ( repeat this step for the other lense now too and make sure the lenses are covered well with the shampoo ) Rinse and dry your glasses and your good to go! * helps them not fog up as much either the more you clean them using this method as well *

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
A drop of dishwasher detergent woks too, but I don't know if it would have the anti-fogging properties.

kcb37

Guess this one is a little old.
I think everyone has had great ideas so far. Considering myself as somewhat of a car nut a big thing that sticks out to me.
Easy answer drive like you have an egg under your gas pedal. Coast to stop lights etc...
Air up your tires. Changing you own oil depends. Shops buy bulk and can compare to your cost if you buy name brand or better oil. But if you have a good oil, you can get up to 10,000 miles before you need to change it. (hit 20k on my 03 Chevy last change)

In this world, something I have done (started in Aug, so I have not saved a penny yet) is to plant 2 Apple, 2 Pear, 2 Cherry, and 1 Nectarine trees. All in all about 160 dollars or so. But the first year I get a good fruiting off them, they will be paid off.
I also have 7 Blueberry bushes, 2 Raspberry bushes, and 2 Blackberries.

Huge pile of seeds to plant. Alot from the Coop from last year. 50% off at the most. Got 3 pounds off bean seed and one small packet of Okra (about the same as 5 or so of the paper packets of seed) for $5.05. Loving the Coop as it's about 5 miles away.

I have a composter, going to add a second. This is a time to cost thing to me. I spent 130/140 something like that. So it's going to take time to pay itself off, but in time it will. Have to figure the better your garden does the quicker it pays off, the quicker you can make compost the quicker it pays off.

Speaking of cars and such. If you "need" a truck but only in the summer. An S10 or Ranger that gets better mileage but can pull a small trailer when the "truck" is needed can save alot of gas. A good trailer will cost some, but even small trailers can be had with a 3500 pound axle. My newest trailer has a payload of 2,900 pounds. More then I can put in the bed of my 03 3/4 diesel Chevy on an average day. Bad thing is tires need to be replaced every few years. (every 4 to 7, they just get old)

Depending on your level of expertise. A Haynes or Chiltons manual is great for general car repairs. Problem is buying tools if you do not have them is not cheap. But most car repairs don't invole alot of "special" tools. Plenty of forums like this to help if you need it.

Dig through your house and see what you can either have a garage sale or put on craigslist. I take my trash to a "dump" site every week. Save more spending the gas money they paying the city. I also grab some stuff now and then. Found a vanity that was a little old and beat up. Glued a drawer back together and sold it for $40 the next day.

I save any and all scrap metal. Have a scrap yard about 8 miles from my house. Saving all my cans too.

I have also used 2 liter bottles and milk jugs to start plants in.

An older car even with repairs can be cheaper then new. Insurance is cheaper, car payment is nothing.

A flower garden in the front yard, back yard, or both can cut down on mowing and save gas. Also something like a railroad tie level with the ground can be mowed over and save on weedeating.

A wood grill can save money, free wood on craigslist alot, just have to pickup and cut.

styxjustrocks

I always buy clothes off season. Like in the early winter, I check online for summer clothes. I look at store racks that are discounted too. I buy things I need at Dollar general, and they take coupons. I buy my craft supplies off ebay. My fil raises cattle, so I can have all the meat I want. I grow extra veggies and mil cans them. I grow herbs and then dry them to use til next summer. I like yard sales, I can find all kinds of things, like books, gardening items, ect cheaply.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
I make brewed ice tea by the gallon. To save time and save electricity, I brew enough tea for 2 or 3 gallons at the time. I store the extra brewed tea in quart jars in the refrig. I started this when I had some guests coming over and didn't know if they liked sweet or unsweetened tea. So I brewed the tea and put in the refrig til they came. I light went off and I said what a way to save time etc. by brewing more than 1 gal. at the time.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Find a thrift store that is a local thrift store not affiliated with Salvation Army, Good Will etc. They have better quality clothes shoes etc. and better prices, especially better prices. In our area people like to give to the thrift store I go to since "all" the money stays here to help the local town.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
as financial times change we must adjust our consumption in order to help with the budget.
In the past I always used my clothes dryer as little as possible. So this tip is not new to me, but it may be to you.
I have a hanging rack, basically a bar that runs down one wall of my laundry room. It is "bolted" in to a joist in the ceiling so it can support a lot of weight. I will run only tee shirts & dress clothes in the dryer for 5 minutes, then I immediately hang them to dry. 5 minutes is just enough to get the wrinkles out and set the softener for that nice smell. Because they are inside, there is no out door smells or dust on the clothes. I cut my electric bill by not using the dryer. Even my meter reader commented that we must be out of town a lot because he never sees readings as low as ours. My goal is to keep the bill less than $100 a month and I have successfully done that except last winter when we had record cold.
for socks and underware, I use wire hangers and clothes pins to hang items from the hanger. If it is really damp out, I use a small fan to circulate the air.

Other things I have done is to partner with a neighbor on what he plants, then I don't plant what he is planting, but more of something he is not. That way we can trade our excess. anyhting left after that goes to the soup kitchen.
tim and I are wroking on reducing the items we buy at the grocery. Impulse items can run your bill up quick. Because we have always had a well stocked pantry, it was easy for me to only buy what we absolutly needed. I make a list and stick to it. Things I used to buy because "it was on sale" are no longer bought unless needed. I shop dollar stores, and off brand markets. I do still take advantage of bogo sales and find it can reduce your need to buy full price.

I want to start a canning co-op with my local garden friends, I am drafting a plan now. Any ideas?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com