termites in my seed potatoes ?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

donatello62

Hello Garden Guru's
I cut-up Red Pontiac (seed) potatoes into pieces. One to three eyes per piece, layed them out in the sun to allow to dry for a few days and then planted them in a section of a plastic barrel (no bottom) with topsoil and a bit of old cow manure. Approx. 2/3 of the potatoes germinated and are robustly growing. I wanted to shovel some dirt from one of the barrels that contained seed potatoes that didn't grow into a one of the others that was growing. When I turned the soil over I saw one of the non-growing seed potatoes full of what looked like termites. Uncovered other non-growing potatoes and the same thing...
1. How do I get rid of them and save my potatoes?
2. Will this destroy the growing plants or ruin the growing potatoes under the soil? (I'm trying to figure-out how to insert a photo of the little creatures..)
http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab334/donatello99z/potato%20pest/potatopest.jpg

Yep they're definitely termites....they also attack sweet potatoes too. Unfortunately most termite poisons are pretty horrendous but as your problem is in a veggie bed Neem is a very effective alternative in deterring them. I'd dig up the good tubers and plant them elsewhere if you're able. Also you're going to have to find the nest by trying to locate their trails and destroy it, maybe get a professional in to do it if you have trouble. Check for the most obvious places where wood is available and not been touched for quite a while. I'm not sure if you're using a mulch but obviously something is attracting them to your spuds. If you have them in your garden you may have them in your shed or house too, a check there would be a good idea, good luck.

Thanks for the help Wombat!I looked up neem and will give it a shot. I have my plants within 10 ft of my wood pile.

Last edited:
Ahhhh you just answered you own question. Gotta move the spuds. Termites also nest underground in old tree stups ,roots and or buried wood trash.

Do I really need to use seed potatoes to successfully plant potatoes? I heard that store bought potatoes can still be used, but they need to be washed thoroughly. Is this true, or was my friend incorrect about seed potatoes?

Hi Banky,
The reason it is suggested that you use seed spuds , is because the risk of a disease or virus is far greater on a store bought potato. Seed potatoes are treated for viruses and disease as well as fungus with sulfur dust. I have grown lots of spuds from those that sprout eyes in the house. You just raise your degree of difficulty by using untreated potatoes;)

Some of these termites are very dangerous for our seeds.I am also faced this problem in past but control over this
problem soon. I have used pest removal spray for this purpose which put many positive effects on the seed and
enable me to save my seeds.Are you interested in the use of sprays.

Last edited:
I've never had problems with insects involved with potatoes, but I sure have lost a lot of potatoes from moles.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back