The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Hi,ya Randy!

Well, I fear the Slip-n-Slide story may not be as exciting as some are expecting. I mean...there are no slobbering dogs. But it was a great experience.

As most of you know, I hang out with 3 friends from high school. We are all 51and we are...The CabinGirls. And we are pretty much all nuts. In a good way(i have convinced myself this is true). I have been telling them about these gardening sites for years and they teased me that I was really talking to dirty old men and transvestites (no disrepect intended) when I would mention...say Prettylady or Natloo. I would argue that Internet friends are real, true people. I actually met Natloo a few years back...AWESOME chica!! Real and true.

Well, The CabinGirls take trips together. Prettylady says..."wish I could meet these girls sometime"...I say, "Hey CabinGirls, wanna drive 4 hours to meet someone you don't know and sleep in her house?"

They said sure.

About an hour into the trip...someone says..."What if these people are homicidal maniacs and our families never see us again? WHAT ARE WE DOING??"
I said this could not be true. I have talked to Peggy on the phone, exchanged seeds/plants/life stories...she's OK.

Later in the trip...everyone in the vehicle was quiet. The wheels were turning in our minds. Even mine! What a leap of faith. But we figured if these people met us in the driveway with pitchforks and ropes...you know, if they looked like homicidal maniacs...we would just leave...FAST.

You all know Prettylady ... but do you really KNOW her?????

Well....I do. She is the most wonderful and real person. She welcomed 4 almost total strangers into her home with open arms and a stove full of delicious food. She made me sleep in her bed while she "camped" outside. She gave us gifts and told us stories. We swam in her pool. Met her one-in-a-million husband Cliff (poor man-5 against 1!!) and so much I can't describe. Her place is unreal...a literal jungle of beauty. I have not done her awesomness justice here.

Peggy says..."you guys wanna check out my relatives Slip-n-Slide party"? Well..HECK YEAH, we did! Thinking of the Slip-n-Slides we had seen before, we were all considering having fun and going down. We knew they routed it into a lake...sounded like a lot of fun.

When we drove back the dirt lane to the lake, our driverGirl had to park because her jaw dropped so suddenly. We all stared in awe...slowly opened all doors of the Suburban and walked toward the lake...leaving the doors wide open to the duststorm created by all the traffic going to the lake...

This thing was 14 feet wide and about 150 feet long! Vinyl flooring donated!! Water was pumped from the pond to keep it wet. Riders lubed themselves in a tub of...KY jelly (another donation...2-55 gallon drums!!). There were tubes...there were bodies shooting many feet into the pond...singles, pairs...3 at a time. I've never seen so much fun in my life.

Is there a limit to how many lines I write? Hope not.

Now, every CabinGirl wimped out. We would waffle back and forth and start to do it, but we wimped out. Afraid we would break 51 year old necks. There must have been 100 carloads of 20-30 year olds there...they kept trying to get us to do it. I think they wanted to see the carnage that would result.

She wanted to, but I could not let Prettylady go down. She had serious injuries from earlier in life that leave her with tricky back, etc. I wanted her to be able to cook more for me. Nah, I really wanted to protect her from her adventurous self.

I could go on and on. This trip was fodder for many stories to come.

A plane buzzed us and dropped rolls of toilet paper that unfurled gloriously in the blue sky. Pretty cool.

2 things that stick out in my mind...2 repeat Slip-n-Sliders...shapely young lady in a bikini...and cowboy boots. 60 year+ fellow(that nobody knew) who tried to walk back UP every time in the middle of the slipperiness, only to fall flat on his face and slide back down. He was having the time of his life. And he had lost his clothes somewhere. Every stitch.

Don't worry...the next day was Family Friendly day and the younger children got to go from halfway down. All in all, though, everyone behaved and there were only a few minor injuries.

Thanks, Prettylady, for not being a homocidal maniac.

And I guess the guy found his clothes and got a ride home.

Attachments

• sns.jpg
    sns.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 304
Oh my gawd what awesome fun is that!! Woohoo...I'd be down it in a minute! I remember the first time I went to the mountains (Big Bear in California) and I slide down the hillside. The dads were stationed at the bottom of the hill so we wouldn't go out onto the lake (not quite frozen enough) wowie that was fun! Of course I was about eight then and now I'm....well a little older but still.

Dora/Garden Goddess who lives in the north but leans more to the Dixie side of the Dixie/Yankee scale ;-)

It was getting awful quiet at the old place.

Yep Randy, it sure is! I hate that the old place hasn't been kept up as it should. When I joined there 4 years ago it was like this site is..it sure has changed a lot.

shinekeeper, you amaze me with your stories! I'm very close to your age ..by 2 years..give or take...and I can't imagine how you stay in one piece! Awesome picture!! I'd never take that chance, I'm too much of a "what if" person. What if I break my neck. What if I get killed. What if ..ohhh, my goodness..I lose my clothes!!!

Yunno, Gloria...what REALLY kept me from going down that thing....I wear glasses and am blind as a bat without them. I didn't want to NOT be able seeing all the people pointing and laughing at my tangled body!!! A lot of people hit the bales of straw at the bottom...I would have been one of them, I am sure!!

The CabinGirls are all different as far as personalities...one worries, one ponders, one leaps without looking...but we have had so many adventures. We have fun. Most is safe, but sometimes we misbehave. If I lived closer to Prettylady, we'd be in trouble alot!!!

I'm NEVER gettin' old!! Yeehaw.

Different Slip-N-Slide

Oh...my...gosh!! I am wiping my eyes from laughing so hard. Hope you enjoy this as much as I am.

My son just called me and told me he had just busted his butt in his driveway. I was concerned. He said he walked out to the car...in the dark...and hit a patch of ice or something. HOLD IT....it's 45 degrees out...

He takes his keychain flashlight and sees a patch of SOMEthing...looks brown...? First, he thinks maybe dog poop...? So he picks up a stick and pokes it to see just what it is. Kinda flat and he turns it over....sees a blue piece of paper...

I am laughing ... can you believe this??!!!

It said...Chiquita...he actually slipped on a banana peel!!!:D

That sounds like a good bunch, SK. My wife used to go away for a weekend with several ladies and they would have a good time. I always thought it would be fun to go and cook for them so they wouldn't have to worry about "Women's Work" while they were on a holiday. But my mere presence would have stifled their fun, I am sure.

Nice story..So is Prettylady:D

Yes my thoughts and words would sound something like what your friends said makes sense*lol

"What if these people are homicidal maniacs and our families never see us again? WHAT ARE WE DOING??" Leaving fast was a thought but crazy people don't usually meet their victims with pitchforks and rope*LOL

Ok we were hammered with snow all morning.I was shoveling for hours as I watched the mess take place everyone was getting stuck and the plows were no where to be found.but...Hubby thought that we should go to Hines Drive (Dearborn or Dearborn Heights) and sled down a large hill.I told him to go bring an extra sled and find another 44 yr old man to slide down with him *LOL
Not I, I bumped my tailbone and was in pain for a while.I didn't find it too much fun,my daughter nearly went off the hill into a mini forest.So she was not in favor either.But I have to say Shinekeeper if it was a summers day and I saw that slide I wouldn't go home for a long while. That slide looks like more fun then one should be allowed to have!
If my one younger sister and brothers were with me we'd sleep there if we could.
What a Blast we would have!(although I am a bit younger*lol)

Thanks for sharing!

Kale:D

Deb, That is great...love the slip and slide story...you all should have tried it though...bet it would have been a ride of your life...

If my arms were better I would of tried it at least once.. sounds like you all had a good time anyways.

Gosh, it is so cold. 4 degrees this morning. What amazes me, though...the forecast is calling for 50 on Christmas. How does that happen?

I KNOW, Nat.. classic comedy.

Love the slip and slide story. It's true what they say that youth is wasted on the young. If I was as young as my heart wants my body to be there would never be a dull moment!

To be young at heart is still a blessing though. My old body complains, but my mind is still in high gear.

LOL so good to see you all here...
Yep I sure wanted to go down the slip-n-slide in a really bad way...
This is an annual thing in the neighborhood where i grew up...BTW Deb...Richard says hello...he just left.
The Cabin Girls as a group are a trip and lots of fun ...beautiful people...
I so enjoyed all of them...
Randy good to see ya man...like you...body complains but my mind is young...LOL most days...
I wanted to take a moment to catch up this evening... I have had a house full of company and lots of kiddos...last minute baking and finishing a few legs and handles on the cornhole boards...sanding , painting, cooking, playing. and fixing gift baskets for a few less fortunates that i need to get delivered tomorrow... Still have a few more presents to wrap for the kiddos...
The temp here is 19 presently...-6 last night...to be 55 Christmas day...
The weather man is saying thunderstorms for tomorrow....
Deb and Laurie I received the beautiful Christmas cards and I love them and thank you so very much...
I hope to take a moment and catch up again before Christmas but if I don't I want to wish each and every one of you a wonderful Christmas filled with beautiful memories...
Love ya all,
Peggy

You are going to have to hurry if you are going to do much before Christmas. It is almost upon us. I have my pies all baked though, so I can loaf for a little bit. I still need to do a batch of sourdough biscuits though or the war department (my wife) will be after me.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back