The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dale ,,,I think it is the best way to begin the New Year....and what a great family time...was also took part in a family last supper...what a great way to end and beging all at the same time...

That's quite an idea, Deb. Several years back I was pretty curious about what barley cakes tasted like. Those were the ones that were multiplied to feed all those people on the mountain. I bought some barley and ground it into flour, then made some small rolls similar to what I thought would be what a boy would carry for lunch about 2000 years ago. Wheat apparently was what the wealthier people made bread out of. I can say that I did not care for the taste, but I think if I was hungry enough, I would be glad to have barley cakes. I think I would like to do that again anyway. I haven't used my flour mill that much and that's a good excuse.

Dale ,,,I think it is the best way to begin the New Year....and what a great family time...was also took part in a family last supper...what a great way to end and beging all at the same time...

Debe that is so special. A real meaningful tradition to begin the year. What a way to express your obedience.

Peg, I am surprised you slept thru New Year's!!! You wouldn't have if I'd been there.
I can just imagine the two of us...we would probably get in trouble... Recon!!!

Well its the first time ever I haven't seen New Years in but Cliff had to work New Years day and we hit the sack early...
The kids were all planning on coming here and party but I told em we can't do that to Dad...He is getting up at 3:30...
I don't think I missed a thing and definitely no hangover...LOL
Happy 2009 to each and all of ya...Hope its the best year ever...

The weather man here is saying chance of rain all week...drizzling here now..
High for the week is to be 40 only on Tuesday and 20s and 30s for the rest of the week... I will be keeping the fire going in the fireplace..
Peggy

It warmed up a little bit here and melted yesterday's snow. There is still some in the higher elevations, but the roads are navigable.

I hate to tell y'all but here it was 75 today and the same for tomorrow. Good to see the sunshine for a change.

I babysat the grands for New Year's Eve so we all went to bed together in my queen size bed. :) It was a big deal for the kids. The only one that wasn't happy was Sam, my little dog, as he usually has half the bed to himself so he more or less slept on my shoulder and head all night. :rolleyes: Next morning we got up and had bacon, sausage and eggs for breakfast. :)

We had freezing rain last night and then snow so it was slick this morning.

I got the big limb that came down on our garage all rigged to be lifted off whenever David can give me a hand. I have it rigged so it can be lifted up rather than dragged across the roof. Once lifted with the block and tackle, pulling on the tag line will enable us to swing it clear of the roof.

I wasn't so lucky...when my limb came down it poked straight thru my metal garage roof. At least it was out near the edge so it didn't leak inside.

Freezing rain and yuck here today. Hopefully nothing like last week. Our whole area was a glaze of ice. The drive home took some 5 or 6 hours with all the accidents and road closures. Of course it's a known fact that people from Ohio can't drive...:p

43 and light rain. It is to go away before noon and sun this afternoon. to get up to the 60's

Sun is shining today. High was in the 70's although cooler temps are on the way.

Dale & lyn 60's and 70's sounds grand... Love working in the gardens with those temps...
We have had rain off and on today...calling for that white stuff tomorrow..
Presently 37 here with a low tonight of 31...
Randy and Deb I am forever grateful we haven't had any limbs come thru the roof We have been fortunate with no limbs down here for a couple of months....
I sure am not complaining at all...
Hey Sash...sure is special having the grand babies come home...Our Jojo would live here if mom and dad would let her... She is 18 mos. old and I think me and poppie are her heroes...She calls me every day...too be so young she is speaking well...sure puts a real bright spot in my mornings...
Laters all am off to make a banana pudding for my lil fella... He mentioned that he had a taste for it so I am gonna spoil him a bit and feed his sweet tooth...
Peggy

We got that limb down this afternoon without incident. Once lifted with the block and tackle, with the pulling power of the Suburban, we were able to swing it clear and lower it to the ground.

Attachments

• DSC_0065a.JPG
    DSC_0065a.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 269
I hate to tell y'all but here it was 75 today and the same for tomorrow. Good to see the sunshine for a change.

Well then ... don't tell us about it ... SEND it to us!! :D

Yesterday afternoon the temps dropped quickly and then we had freezing rain that put a solid sheet of ice all over everything. Snow today with high winds. Don't know what the temp was but it sure was darn cold! I'm SO ready for Spring!

Randy - Glad you got that limb down without any incident.

Deb - I'm here! Just been busy with the holdiays and family and all that good stuff. (and frozen solid too)

Hey there to everyone else ... :)

It rained all day today here, Natalie. So I'm glad we got that thing down yesterday. Winds are supposed to increase tonight too and that could have made things bad too. There is flooding north of us, but we are okay here.

Natloo we had almost hurricane force winds yesterday, winds gusting to 70 MPH. As I like to say, You have to take the bitter with the sweet. It was sweet having those warm temps first of the week and now the cold front blew in. Hope everyone has a great day.

Good Morning Everyone!

Randy the block and tackle are always handy to make the way safe...
Glad ya got that thing down safely.....

Natalie its wonderful to see you...I know what ya mean about hollidays, family and all that good stuff... Get in here as often as ya can...we miss you. I am so ready for spring also.... Don't wanna rush time away but to heck with all the rain and snow..

It's 27° with wind chill of 18°....rained most of the week....woke to a blanket of snow yesterday morning...gone my mid day...temps reached 39...

Dale I love to listen to the wind but 70 mph is a little more wind than I am comfortable with...

Shiney I know you are busy but where are you girlfriend...

I am making plans for a road trip to Gulf Shores for the end of Feb... Gonna visit with my lil sis there for a while... That is where they are spending the winter this year...

Hope you all have a wonderful day...
Peggy

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back