The Importance of Flowers

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

L

Lucinda Addison

During these challenging times, staying calm, being positive and enjoying simple pleasures at home are of the utmost importance. With government guidelines forcing shops to close, you can no longer pick up a bunch of flowers at your local flower shop, however, Neill brings you the joy and beauty of flowers with this blog post to uplift your spirits and help keep you feeling healthy during the quarantine.

+Floral+Couture+luxury+flowers+London?format=1000w.jpg

I imagine most people like me are finding this extraordinary world crisis to be a time for reflection. Once we have decided not to let fear and gloom dominate our way of thinking, we begin to look for and to find some positive effects the pandemic is bringing to ourselves and to the world. In respect for all the people working so hard to help and save others and with my very deepest condolences to all those who have lost loved ones to the Coronavirus, this blog post is dedicated to everyone who is in home confinement and trying to make the most of this time to be positive and productive as I am. Let’s keep flowers in our lives!

IMG_5980.jpg

Recent hotel launch
IMG_7260.jpg

Tulip bulb fields in Holland
IMG_2151.jpg

Keukenhof Gardens, Holland
Neill-Strain-Spring-Collection-017.jpg

Easter floral arrangement
While the cut flower world is being hit hard at every level during the pandemic, from the growers to the florists and the exporters to the wholesalers, the joy and beauty of flowers in our lives has never been more vital. Flowers continue to grow as they always do, under the nurturing hands of our growers in Holland and around the world, in the gardens of those that today are particularly thankful to have a garden, in London’s Garden Squares such as the one I gaze at everyday from my window… Even if we don’t have our usual bouquet of fresh flowers on the coffee table, I believe it is important to keep flowers in our lives in any way we can for the uplifting feelings they give us. So today I would like to share a few stories from “inside” the flower world so you can immerse yourselves for a few minutes in the magnificence of nature.

SONNEVELD+HYDRANGEA.jpg

Sonneveld Hydrangea
ICHTUS+FLOWERS.jpg

Ichtus Phalaenopsis Orchids
ANSU+VANDA.jpg

Vanda Orchids at Ansu
VIP+ROSES.jpg

Roses at VIP Roses
CONVELLARIA+GROWER.jpg

Lily of the Valley growing
BELGRAVE+SQUARE.jpg

Magnolia in Belgrave Square
CHELSEA.jpg

Cadogan Place Gardens
HYDE+PARK.jpg

Camelias in Hyde Park
Spring is undoubtedly the most florally prolific season of the year as trees and shrubs burst into flower overhanging the palpitating growth below that spreads not just in flower beds but across lawns, fields and forest floors. In Holland, where we source our beautiful flowers, the bulb fields are in full bloom with thousands of Daffodils, Hyacinths and Tulips of every colour of the rainbow creating luminous bands of colour that attract thousands of tourists. Every year these beautiful flowers are cut by machines and left to decompose as this is the customary method used to reinforce the strength of the bulbs. Since some of these growers are worried not to be able to sell their bulbs given present circumstances, they are picking the flowers and selling them on the roadsides. Note social distancing of 1.5 meters apart is practiced even during the picking!

Tulips+in+the+bulb+fields.jpg

Tulips in the Dutch bulb fields

Daffodil+bulb+fields.jpg

Daffodils in the bulb fields
Social+distancing+in+the+bulb+fields.jpg

Social distancing sign
Picking+in+the+Bulb+Fields.jpg

Bulb growers picking Tulips
IMG_7251.jpg

Tulips til the eye can see
ulips+cut+and+left+to+decompose+in+the+bulb+fields.jpg

Tulip flowers decomposing
More+tulips.jpg

The bulb fields
IMG_5602.jpg

Hyacinth bulb fields
Hyacinths+in+the+bulb+fields.jpg

Colour bands of Hyacinths
Tulips+growing+next+to+cows+grazing?format=1000w.jpg

Tulips growing next to cows grazing

Thousands of tourists, having toured the bulb fields, then head over to the Keukenhof Gardens near Lisse, the largest and most spectacular garden of spring flowers in the world. This year these gardens are unable to open and the usual 1.5 million visitors will not be able to enjoy the 79 acres of floral wonder, including about 7 million flower bulbs and an entire year’s preparation by their dedicated team. A tragedy indeed. Nevertheless, I am happy to say that they will be sharing views of the garden online. The gardens are virtually open! In fact, for the first time, we are able to “meet” the gardeners and hear their own thoughts, commentaries and preferences about the flowers and their work which is an unexpected treat.

ll+Strain+Belgravia+Keukenhof+Gardens?format=1000w.jpg

The magnificence of Spring at the Keukenhof Gardens

rain+Floral+Couture+Keukenhof+Gardens?format=1000w.jpg

A river of Grape Hyacinths at the Keukenhof Gardens

Tulips and Hyacinths

loral+Couture+loves+Keukenhof+Gardens?format=1000w.jpg

The movement of water adds elegance to the Keukenhof Gardens

n+Floral+Couture+at+Keukenhof+Gardens?format=1000w.jpg

Follow the brick road at the Keukenhof Gardens

You can take a virtual visit of the gardens, a rare opportunity to see them not swarming with people! Content will continue to be uploaded during the next two months as the gardens evolve.

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

In one video Managing Director of the Gardens, Bart Siemerink, explains the origin and history of Tulips and shows many of the exceptional new varieties that Dutch growers have developed over the past 400 years. Learn more.

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

One of the Keukenhof gardeners, Andre, takes you on a virtual tour of the Lake Garden and explains why working at the Keukenhof is so special for him.

IMG_2171.jpg

Keukenhof Gardens, Holland
IMG_2173.jpg

River of Lily Tulips
IMG_2440.jpg

Sculpture of a Tulip bulb
IMG_2155.jpg

Designs change every year
Andre’s experience is exactly the same as mine working with floral design. We love the preparations… finding inspirations, hours of planning, designing, sourcing the flowers, sourcing accessories too, the creation of the designs and the sometimes stressful installations when working to very tight deadlines… But the best moment, as Andre says, is the “showtime.” When we actually see how much joy, positive energy and deep emotions we are able to create in people just through our flowers at an event, a wedding, or the offering of one of our stunning bouquets.

Unknown-2.jpg

Wedding at The Dorchester
london-photographer-roberta-facchini-photography-5.jpg

The Lanesborough bridal design
jacquicole-6069.jpg

Engage London 2019
1019-IMG_1171-Chiko+Photography.jpg

Bridal staircase at One Belgravia
saachi1+h+res.jpg

Fresh floral dress (Saatchi Gallery)
1054-160A3231-Chiko+Photography.jpg

Orchids and Roses at One Belgravia
140A9598.jpg

Floral Peacocks at Annabel's
IMG_1900.jpg

Wedding table at the Ritz Hotel
Floral design is in my opinion the most emotive of all the arts, because it is a living, ethereal medium that we know will last for only a fleeting moment during our lives. As the Keukenhof team has never created exactly the same garden design in its 70 year history, I have never created exactly the same floral design, nor have I seen an identical reaction from a client. We are all unique, individual, creative and flowers bring us immense joy!

ENGAGE-LONDON-DAY-ONE-CARLA-TEN-EYCK-190.jpg

Fresh floral Yeoman (Engage 2019)
7D1A2902.jpg

Lalique launch party
brides-in-belgravia-roberta-facchini-photography-2.jpg

Spring design at The Lanesborough
neill-strain-floral-interiors-6.jpg

Flowers for a Belgravia home
-lanesborough-hotel-roberta-facchini-photography-2.jpg

Wedding table (The Lanesborough)
neill-strain-floral-interiors-2.jpg

Dinner party in Belgravia
IMG_6003.jpg

Design for a recent hotel launch
IMG_0515.jpg

The Brompton Oratory
So during these days or weeks of home confinement when we are seemingly far from nature, reach out for virtual floral experiences to uplift your mood. Seeing and thinking about these comforting surroundings bring on a feeling of well-being with the secretion of endorphins. And these endorphins strengthen your immune system. If you have a garden, take time to enjoy it and pick a few flowers or branches to arrange in a vase as decoration inside. If you have plants in your home, nurture them, they filter the air and give you oxygen. And let’s all hope that by the time the Roses begin to bud, the pandemic will be over, it will be safe to go wherever we please and we can once again offer you the most beautiful flowers from our wonderful growers with even more admiration and gratitude than ever before.

Stay safe and well.

Florally yours,

Neill x

P.S. Make sure you click on all the links to see the Keukenhof Garden videos and follow them on social media.

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back