Three Tree Questions.

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Sandybecks

Hello all….
I am new to the forum, with one post, but now have a few more questions.
First question is about a young Cherry I have (a Royal Crimson).
I took the advice of a nurseryman at a local nursery, and topped it at about 10ft.
I will try and post a picture of it, along with a photo related to my other question.
Anyway, I topped it, and now long streamers have shot out of the trunk, and from where I topped it, it has continued to grow (taller)
My second question is regarding four young ficus that I have planted, should I top them?
Should I trim them? And if so, will it promote growth?
Last question, I have 21 Japanese Boxwoods that have been in the ground 1.5 years, what and when to feed, and again, if I prune them, will it promote growth.
Thanks in advance!!
Sandy

Attachments

• 7653875B-F975-48DB-9482-B4DE7C0B529C.jpeg
    7653875B-F975-48DB-9482-B4DE7C0B529C.jpeg
    641.9 KB · Views: 195
  • D73AD974-AF25-4621-A551-EB13EF04CA13.jpeg
    D73AD974-AF25-4621-A551-EB13EF04CA13.jpeg
    745.7 KB · Views: 190
Let's do one at a time:
Cherry tree- The golden rule with any pruning is to remove no more then 1/3 of the total growth...taking too much and the tree, or shrub will force them to sent up water sprouts (and base suckers)
Here's some good articles

Boxwood are easy to shape and train....they require light pruning once they stop growing for the year....usually no more then an inch or so. This helps them fill in and also to maintain a shape you want. Clean out any dead growth as they appear. Use a fertilizer designed for evergreens such as boxwoods 10-6-4 is ideal

Ficus will react to the same stress and send up water sprouts so it is best not to remove too much, remove just enough to shape it.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back