Tomato & Cuke Plants

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

I have my tomato and cucumber plants growing next to each other. The cukes have attached themselves to the tomato plant for support. I was hoping that this would be okay.

The cukes are also growing along the chain link fence. It has 2 cucumbers on it so far. My sister claims that the fruit will be deformed by growin in the holes of the fence.

Kya D

I would just keep an eye on the veggies and keep them out of the holes in the chain link. It won't hurt the vine to attach to the fence.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use chain link that I recycle from peoples garbage as supports in the garden. Works great. The cukes though will drag the tomatoes down.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't take much to pull tomato plants over and the tomatoes will be weight enough on the bush. We've grown cucs on a fence, it works good but as Kya said, I'd watch as the cucs develope, making sure they're not stuck growing inside a hole. A fence makes for easier finding and picking and leaves more space for other things. Good luck with your garden Kallie.

cycle1667

I use bamboo poles for tomatoes like scaffolding. I don't think it works better necessarily, but I like the aesthetics.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com