Tomato Favs

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Please post pics for us CG.

I would like to have a couple on stilts for myself. It sure would do the back good. Saves on the bending. I have 5 raised beds now and would like to grow some small pumpkins this year and more beans so I will need at least two more raised beds.

Wow, Randy that is a lot of flat. I will be sowing more seeds as I want more tomatoes and lots of peppers. I bought Celebrity tomatoes, some wild cherry tomatoes and jalapena peppers from the Boy Scouts flower sale.

oopse totally fogot to get the pics I am so sorry. Remember pic , remember pics ;)

I had so many peppers last year that people actually said please no more. I will cut back on them this year. Funny no one ever says, "Please don't bring me any more tomatoes" ! LOL!

it but he said it was similar to "mortgage buster"...

My sister gave me some wonderful tomato books that talk about some of the delicious heirlooms that are still available for Christmas this year. One of the books, the one by Amy Goldman, had a whole section on the Mortagage Lifter tomato. There is apparently more than one, in fact there are half a dozen or so. I'm at work, I'll get the book out tonight if you're interested in the known Mortgage Lifter varieties.

When most people buy a Mortgage Lifter tomato, though, they think they're buying the one that was developed by Radiator Charlie. It may not be, though, and while most of them are similar, there are some differences in taste and production.

I just recieved my order of seeds from TomatoGrowers. These are new to me, Magnum and Brandywine tomatoes. They also sent me a free pack of Early Wonder which is supposed to produce in 55 days. I ordered purple jalapeno too. Have any of you grown any of these? If so, any suggestions on growing them would be appreciated.

I just bought Brandywine seeds this year at the suggestion of a local gardener. It's new to me also.

Gloria, I can't remember what part of Sc you're in, but my experience with Brandywine is that in cool to normal summers they produce well...for a Brandywine. They're not the most productive tomatoes, but boy are they tasty! If it's a hot summer, though, they don't do so well. For taste and production in our part of the country, it's hard to go wrong with Cherokee Purple.

I bought one Brandywine one yesterday and have Cherokee Purple seeds. We have ver very hot summers her in the Houston area so I had bettter get some Cherokee's started. I am not too far from South Carolina but by zone is 9

brandywines

i have grown these for the last 2 years and will be starting my seeds this weekend...we are zone 7b and maybe not as warm&humid as SC. i loved the brandywines..they are not pretty tomatoes but they are tasty...i guess they have a higher sugar content..once everyone got past the pink color of the fruit these were the most requested tomatoes..they produced a little later than the big&better boys causing all of my friends/neighbors i shared with to ask "where's the pink ones?" i found no pest or wilt problems and i was lucky..the vines grew HUGE not knowing they would get that large i planted too close together the first year...last year i only planted 4 plants and they had plenty of room, i give the brandywines 4 stars. i'm also going to try "rutgers" this year...i don't know if its an heirloom but i understand it is fairly pest&disease resistant too.
dear blueaussie, i guess i don't know as much as i would like about "mortgage lifter" as i thought it was called "mortgage buster" i would appreciate the titles of your books...i should be able to find them in the library do you think? thanx in advance..tonya

I ahev palnted in the past and this year Brandywine, they do very well , I have also tried the Early Wonders and yes they do come in early , they also have a long producing season. Very good all around tomato;)

Today I found a package in the farm shop, Miss Crabber. I picked a few other things too, and some ornamental corn. I have never grown up things. I will always have a row of 4 rows of corn and dedication of the watch. We will use some, I give it a rest. I got some extra pepper seeds today.

Last edited:
Roger,

Gardens do more than feed us they bring great joy. I wish you luck in your garden if you have any questions you may ask us we will be happy to help.

About 90% of my seeds came up. Black Kims, Old German,
Rainbow Tomatoes ( something new I am trying several colors in one package).
Mini yellow sweets , green grape, and sweet 100's.
We shall see how things progress.

I am getting ready to go to Lowe's to get some tomatoes and some seeds. I love tomatoes but still haven't found the Lemon Boys. I do so want to try them. Is there a company I can get some seeds or some plants you all know of? lmk The Beefsteaks did well for me last year and all my cherries. My Romas didn't do as well as the year before. I am ready to get my garden started. Good luck with your gardens this year. I hope we all have great harvests.

I am getting ready to go to Lowe's to get some tomatoes and some seeds. I love tomatoes but still haven't found the Lemon Boys. I do so want to try them. Is there a company I can get some seeds or some plants you all know of? lmk The Beefsteaks did well for me last year and all my cherries. My Romas didn't do as well as the year before. I am ready to get my garden started. Good luck with your gardens this year. I hope we all have great harvests.

Dor I have gotten the seeds from gurney's in the past I didn't even look this spring but I love the lemon boys.

I'll be planting Brandywine, Purple Cherokee and Pineapple which is a large 2lb yellow beefsteak type heirloom!
Last year fell in love with the size, flavor and color of the Purple Cherokee!!

I had 4 really nice size better boys that were going very well about 8" tall. That dadgum armadillo ripped a hole inthe fence and plowed on over :( I fixed the hole but the plant was done

I'll be planting Brandywine, Purple Cherokee and Pineapple which is a large 2lb yellow beefsteak type heirloom!
Last year fell in love with the size, flavor and color of the Purple Cherokee!!

Ron would those varieties do well here where I am? I live in Penetanguishene on southern Georgian Bay. About zone 4/5. If so where do you get your seeds from? I am very interested in trying those varieties!! :)

Hey Bunny!
They should do well for you with an early start!
I purchased the seeds from www.ParkSeed.com
They are in South Carolina and do ship cross border. With the great exchange rate they are a heck of a lot cheaper then buying the seed locally!

I've got to look for some sweet 100's, sungolds, i want to try them and would like to try some other types too from seed this yr. can't start them until first of april here

Dor I have gotten the seeds from gurney's in the past I didn't even look this spring but I love the lemon boys.

Thanks Lyn. They didn't have the lemon boy's at Burgess but I ordered some from Tradewinds. I will plant them tomorrow.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back