Tomato Favs

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have my fav tomatoes that seem to produce best for my zone. In the heat of summer I find that heirlooms do best for disease restistance and heat tolerance.
I love the "old gremans" , Brandy Wines,and yellow, greens, and oranges. ( at work can't remember which names go with whice colors :p).
I grow cherries ( sweet 100's) which I can keep almost year round as long as we don't have multiple freezes. Romas are fun to can as they fit right in the jars. Grapes offer great flavor and produce well.

Just wondering what your fav tom's are?

No way I could pick a fav...love them all. I can sit and chow on jelly beans while I watch tv and whats a BLT without the tomato? Does'nt get much better then some fried green tomatoes eithers....Now my mouth is watering. My answer is all of them.

I went to a class on Saturday that was supposed to be on selecting seeds, but the host opened up the group to questions about gardening and we never did get around to anything about selecting seeds. The guy did state at the very bedinning though that two of his favorites were 'Stupice' and 'Brandywine'. My favorites are Romas for salsa, Sungold for cherries, Celebrity, Big Boy and Better Boy. I did pick up a packet of Stupice seeds on Saturday and I will see if I can find Brandywine today.

I can only eat yello maters
and have been 'spermentin over the past couple of years
I usually by 3 different types trying to find the most flavorful "meaty" mator
for my samiches cause I don't like a mooshy BLT
So far the best one I have found is Lemon Boy (I think)
and my yellow cherries? I can't remember the name but I know it when I see it at the nursery
I grow mine in huge 10 gallon pots so I have easier access to them

I LOVE the Lemon Boys too, they may be my favorite of all time. I also really like Better Boys and Pineapple tomatoes. I have grown soooo many different tomatoes that it is hard to pick just one. I liked oxheart too, but they weren't a great producer.
Yum, I could eat a tomato about now!

Lemon Boys are great. Like Yum yum says it's very hard to pick just one or even a few.
Randy,
If you can't find Brandywine let me know;)

I found a packet today at the farm store, Miss Crabber. I picked up some other stuff too along with some ornamental corn. I have never grown that stuff before. I will have 4 rows of regular corn and dedicate one row to the ornamental. We will use a few and I'll give the rest of it away. I got some additional pepper seeds today also.

I haven't seen the Lemon boy's before. I want to try them. I will look for them at Lowe's and HD or at the a couple of the out of the way Farm store I found taking my grandson to his basketball games.

Celebrity and Sweet 100's are two of my favorites. I planted 18 peat pots of tomatoes last nights. Three of six different kinds.

I think I did see Lemon Boy's at Walmart the other day Dor. Let me know if you don't find them.

Randy,
Glad you got some. I have grown the ornamental corn and it does well. Almost no pest and takes very little water.

Thanks CG, I will look at Wally World. If they don't have them here I will let you know. I planted some Yellow Pear Yesterday and will plant some Jellybean later today or tomorrow. I want to plant some Old German I bought on Ebay. I will need to build a couple more raised beds next month.

my mouth is watering!!!so many different types of tomatoes!!!this year i am trying big boy hybrid b/c i have never tried pelleted seeds(???) before, mark expects his favorite-brandywine-,and am giving rutgers a try too along with both red&yellow "tumbling toms" for my cherries but i will be looking for sweet 100 plants and jelly beans too..i sowed seeds at the ext ofc yesterday..one of the mgs had tomato seeds called "Abe Lincoln" never heard of it but he said it was similar to "mortgage buster"..good enough for me..the only tomato i've ever met that i didn't like was the hot (as opposed to green) house variety..friends don't let friends eat fresh tomatoes out of season...

Yes, Miss Dorothy, I was referring to you. I finished getting my seeds into pots and flats today. I have seven flats and each flat has eighteen 4" pots in it. I always plant two seeds in each pot just for insurance and they almost always both germinate. One flat is tomatoes and the other six are all peppers.

If I could only plant one thing it would be tomatoes!
About raised beds
We live in the swamp and our neighbors are few and far between ,nearest one about 1/4 mile. My garden is in front of my house as my back yard is swam and river. My garden attracts a lot of attention from the few neighbors I have. Several have admired my garden and how we manage to eat from it a lot. I never though it would provide paying jobs for Tim. He has built 6 very large stilted raised beds for neighbors. I need to post the pics. I am trying to decide where I want to put a couple. They are working out really well. You can stand and garden and none of the normal vermin can reach your crops. Additionally, no flooding:D I'll see if I can't take some pics of the ones he built and post on Monday!

Please post pics for us CG.

I would like to have a couple on stilts for myself. It sure would do the back good. Saves on the bending. I have 5 raised beds now and would like to grow some small pumpkins this year and more beans so I will need at least two more raised beds.

Wow, Randy that is a lot of flat. I will be sowing more seeds as I want more tomatoes and lots of peppers. I bought Celebrity tomatoes, some wild cherry tomatoes and jalapena peppers from the Boy Scouts flower sale.

I have one flat of Jalapenos and one flat of Serranos. The rest of the peppers only rated half flats. We have some friendsd that live over the mountain from us that depend on my garden for part of their stuff (beans and peppers). One 42 foot row of beans would supply our family needs, but I plant three rows. One row of peppers would be enough too, but I plant 5 rows. I like growing them and I like having enough to give away.

I stopped at Houston Garden Center this morning and bought 10, 4" tomatoes for $12 and 6, 4" strawberries for 99 cents each. I bought all everbearing strawberries. I bought Arkansas Traveler(I have been wanting for a long time), Brandywine, Orange Oxheart, Pink Girl, Old German, and Amish Paste. I only want to get Champion, Sweet 100's and Lemon Boy.

They didn't have any cucumber but they didn't have cabbage. I will got back later to get some more. Tyler, 9 and Mya, 4 were with me and he kept asking if I was going to get some cucumbers. They really liked the cucumbers I grew last year.

Seventeen of my 18 peat pots of tomatoes have germinated. I re-sowed the one that didn't germinate this morning with Oxheart seeds. I want to sow some more tomato seeds but if I do I will have to sell some because I won't have any room for them.

My peppers and tomatoes are starting to pop up now. I have a long time yet before they go into the ground though.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back