Tomatoes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kale--just checked my calendar----planted mine(tomatoes & peppers) on the 9th of April. Going to try to find my journal from last year and see how long it took. I;m quite sure most of my seeds didn't take this long before.:confused: I do remember it always took the pepper seeds longer to germinate than the tomatoes (about 2 weeks)--for some reason.
These are all new seeds this year too-and I also noticed fewer seeds in the packets. And at least 50 cents more per packet. Some were almost double in price.:(
Of course I planted ALL of the seeds-if these dont germinate I dont know if I'll buy more seeds and try again or just buy the plants later.:( Dont know what is going on-I have never had trouble starting seeds before.:confused:

I also planted some lettuce & parsley that hasn't come either. I'm about ready to give up! The only thing that is coming sso far is a few cherry tomato plants- and they were quite a bit longer germinating. Thinking maybe they were too cool. Didn't keep those under my "lights" --just in the front (south) window. So --was thinking they probably cooled off too much at night.
But my other tomatoes I am keeping under the lights-------:confused: Will give them a while longer. But need to decide in the next couple of days if I'm going to buy more and try them or just wait and buy the plants. Time is short for us up here.
I am rather bothered for all of us.:mad:
I know it is not me or my technique because it has worked for years in that same way, place and technique... Ok my less seed packets cost more too!
The only thing I did differently ( then all years before except for last year) was use a different grade of vermiculite, it is grinded finer.
They changed last year. I did have some of the other (old stuff) and mixed it with the fine one. I don't think that is it; because others germinated fast (this year) I was shocked to see herb sprouts, so quickly.

I tried wax beans 08 and 07 and never germinated! Ever! not one!
I tried peas and all other kinds of beans..May-be 5plants out of the whole packet (s about 6) and the produce was a waste of my time.In 2002 I had more beans then we can eat with just a few plants...MIL use to watch me pic*lol

Hummm.I hope the seed company doesn’t think we are :confused::confused: gardeners...We know what we are doing...Now to find out what they are doing and why.

Unbelieveable.
I did hear that it was going to be hard to get seed to start saving seed, I cant remember what am channel I was just changing,but then their hour was up and I lost track to try to find out ...Oh...I cant remember..I know it was within the last few weeks.GRRRRRR...Oh.... I don't think they cooled off too much at night!
I think something fraudulent has occurred,probably thought up in the middle of the night while we were asleep dreaming of spring and veggies.

Kale

Last edited by a moderator:
I think maybe it has more to do with all the fiddling around they are doing with plants and seeds now. So many plants from the nursery have "patents" on them.... how can you patent something God put here??? The seed company I am using is local to my province, pretty much all of it is organic and they garuntee it's germination for 3 years! the seeds are 30%-40% more expensive, but worth it in the long run with the way the other companies seem to be going.

Kale--- just checked my tomatoes and noticed a few are starting to germinate.:D Phew!!!!!! So I'll keep watching and let you know how many of them germinate. Hopefully all of them will in the next few days.
Checked my peppers too--so far just the Jalapenos have germinated. Cross your fingers for the green(Bell) peppers!
Tomorrow I need to transplant the cherry tomatoes---the have their second set of leaves now so got to get them into their own pots.:)
Just pray everything keeps growing!!!:D

I was lucky when I bought my early girls a while back. They had over seeded some containers so I got those ones and came straight home and carefully seperated them. For the price of 2 at 69 cents apiece I ended up with 7 one gallon pots! they are all doing nicely now. :)

I have some chocolate cherry plants, and some green zebra plants almost ready to plant now. I started them about 2 weeks ago. I will give them 1 more week and then put them in the ground. Wow, I didn't think that they would grow so fast. Our weather has helped.

We had a few warm days when we were down in CA and my plants are pretty tall now. I'm going to start setting them out of the greenhouse during the day now.

I have a lot of tomatoes on the vine!!!! I just saw them yesterday. And all my pepers ( well all but the ones the dog ate) have peppers on them!!!!

I just put 3 Mr. Stripey, 2 Brandywine, and 2 early girl out in the garden in Wall o waters

Well the best laid plans often don't come to fruision. I bought some beautiful tomato plants now have small tomatoes on them. Well I set the plants out dug big holes, put all kinds of stuff in the holes, such as alphafa pellets and cow manure. We had so much horrible wind and now we have temps nearing the 90 degree mark. The tomatoes wilt during the day but revitalize when the sun goes down. Then the next day same old cycle. We went out today to get replacement tomato plants. That was not an easy task. I did get some plants that I haven't tried before. They are a lot smaller tomato plants so we shall see what happens. Did get a few plants that had blooms on the plant so that is a start. Boy I am so ready for a vine ripe tomato.

I talked to my daughter this morning and she has some of the Sweet 100's on her vines now! Everything is growing so fast now!

Everything is picking up here too. I can't do too much right now but went out back yesterday and I am getting more tomatoes and more blooms.

I have a ton of toms on the vine. And yes I have sweet 100's also. It looks like it will be a great season if we don't get a hurricane!

Well I guess I am addicted to tomatoes. I went out today and bought 7 more large tomato plants. Couple of Parks Whoppers, Rutger, Brandywine and one Brandy Boy. I am going to read up on Brandy Boy since I have never grown Brandy Boy.

I grew Brandy Boy a couple of years ago. It did very well for me. Nice tomato, but not quite as tasty as the Brandywine.

I studied up on Brandy Boy and seems to be a good tomato although it's a hybrid. Suppose to produce more tomatoes than a Brandywine.

Everyone talking about their tomatoes and I can't plant mine for about 3 more weeks! I really need to move where it is warmer.

I used to live in Sumter, SC. Loved it! I lived there for about 1 1/2 yrs. I was there for Hugo. Right after Hugo the inlaws showed up and I left and didn't come back! LOL:eek:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back