Tomatoes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

I just had to let everyone know, I have tomatoes on my vines!!!! I came home from work today and counted 6 tomatoes!!!!!! I am so excited!! :D:D

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am so envious!!!!! Congrats on the first announcement of the season for actual production of tomatoes..we want to see pictures...LOL

Dor

Great Kim. I counted 3 on my Celebrity and I have blooms on another Celebrity and one of my sweet 100.

Jade

Ok, I thought I was moving south when I came to PA from Ontario, but now I want tomatoes on my plants too!! Lucky you. Oh well, ours are in the ground 6 weeks earlier than before, so that counts for something. Can you email me some when they are ripe?

richnkim

Dor, great! I have my bed almost ready for the other tomatoes. The production is on my Celebrity.

Goria, you will have them soon!

K

Kale

I just had to let everyone know, I have tomatoes on my vines!!!! I came home from work today and counted 6 tomatoes!!!!!! I am so excited!! :D:D
Well isn't that dandy!;):D:D

Not one of mine germinated yet:eek::(:(
Something weird going on upstairs.:confused:

Congratulations! :)
Bite one for me *LOL

Kale:)

Dor

Dor, great! I have my bed almost ready for the other tomatoes. The production is on my Celebrity.

Goria, you will have them soon!

Good luck Kim. I think you and I might be in the same zone is why we both have the tomatoes already.

I haven't started on my bed yet Kim. I have so many things to do the rest of the week. I think Thursday will be my stay at home day so I can at least get my hole drilled and get them put together and lay my landcape fabric and my plactic. The soil will be brought in by my yardman.

richnkim

I am going to finish my bed tomorrow morning. I am in zone 8.

I will think of everyone when I get my first ripe one.

Bernie

Kim I am so jealous! Mine are still in the greenhouse. It's been in the eighties here but we are supposed to be dropping back down to well below freezing for the next few nights. We always get a hard freeze in April. It'll be a month before I get mine in the ground and well into July before I get to bite into my first ripe tomato.

K

Kale

The 10th of April. Starting another round of any seed I still have left of all .
I simply do not understand.Oh get this, I sowed whole packets of 4kinds of spinach (names and companies), not one germination! Happens nearly every year! If I do get spinach it is full of blight and diseases.
Not one Blue Kale germinated either!
I am really floored by this.Trying to troubleshoot between everything else I am doing.
I also noticed way lessssssssssssss seed in those packets which bothered me greatly.
I hope I'm not on to something.
These are all new seed.I had seed germinate from 3year old seed in the past.
Now that I am thinking..those that did germinated did so within, actually before 5days, that is when I checked them and they are already growing with the seed off their heads(the green crops)

The longest my seed ever took to germinate was 7days usually within 3-5 days.
Time to take out the magnify glass*lol

Please let me know what you did and how you tried, what you did differently this year if anything.

Kale

palmettogal

I saw one lonely tomato on a Better Boy but sacrificed it for what I hope will be better production later. Hard thing to do, though. Nothing in the world beats a fresh juicy tomato slathered with good old southern Duke's mayo, salt and a hefty dose of pepper. Counting down the days....

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kim,
Congrats! It feels so good when you have success from seeds!
Mine have blooms on them and they are the biggest tomato flowers I have ever seen. If the sun is still up when I get home I will have to post a pic. They are huge. I hope this means the toms will be huge!!!!!

gonepostal

Kale--just checked my calendar----planted mine(tomatoes & peppers) on the 9th of April. Going to try to find my journal from last year and see how long it took. I;m quite sure most of my seeds didn't take this long before.:confused: I do remember it always took the pepper seeds longer to germinate than the tomatoes (about 2 weeks)--for some reason.
These are all new seeds this year too-and I also noticed fewer seeds in the packets. And at least 50 cents more per packet. Some were almost double in price.:(
Of course I planted ALL of the seeds-if these dont germinate I dont know if I'll buy more seeds and try again or just buy the plants later.:( Dont know what is going on-I have never had trouble starting seeds before.:confused:

I also planted some lettuce & parsley that hasn't come either. I'm about ready to give up! The only thing that is coming sso far is a few cherry tomato plants- and they were quite a bit longer germinating. Thinking maybe they were too cool. Didn't keep those under my "lights" --just in the front (south) window. So --was thinking they probably cooled off too much at night.
But my other tomatoes I am keeping under the lights-------:confused: Will give them a while longer. But need to decide in the next couple of days if I'm going to buy more and try them or just wait and buy the plants. Time is short for us up here.

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm really curious to see how my plants in the greenhouse are doing. I'll find out on Sunday when we are back home. I have had good success with tomato seeds and germination. I keep the open packets in the refrigerator between seasons. My older pepper seeds are more likely to be less viable than the new ones.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kale,
I had a bunch of "dead" seeds this year. I have planted my wax beans 3 times not sure if critters are digging them up or they are no good.

smiley_face2

I saw one lonely tomato on a Better Boy but sacrificed it for what I hope will be better production later. Hard thing to do, though. Nothing in the world beats a fresh juicy tomato slathered with good old southern Duke's mayo, salt and a hefty dose of pepper. Counting down the days....

Now take that same tomatoe, slice it, take freshwhite bread, mayo, thin sliced sweet onion, and fresh parsley from the garden, salt and fresh ground pepper....a sandwhich straight from heaven! :D

smiley_face2

Kale, I've learned to be careful where I buy my seeds from, and what company they are coming from. My tomatoe seeds have all sprouted, it took them exactly 9 days. The seed was left over from last year, but it's from a very good company that is a bit more expensive but they garuntee their seed germination. Last yearI bought cheaper seeds from the hardware store and I replanted my beans 3 times!! and still ended up with hardly anything :( This year I went back to buying the better seeds. I have one tomatoe in a big 5 gallon pail in the greenhouse, it's about a foot high and has nice flowers on it! a few more in 5 gallon pails that are only about 6-8 inches high, several more in 1 gallon pots that are about 4 inches high, and a few pots of plants about 1 inch high. We are going to have a lot of tomatoes...lol...I've planted lot's of basil too....bocacinni salad coming up... :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com