Too Late For Onions?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

RiverDog

I have never done onions before, but I planted some Scallions after the frost. Now the wife wants me to plant some red and yellow onions. I fear it may be too late in the year to start them now. I'm in central Florida and I believe you are supposed to plant them in or around Dec. here. Is it too late or do I have a chance at getting a decent harvest of onions this year?

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing like pushing the rules!
Crabber will be able to give you a better answer.
I'd give it a try! You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain if you do plant them soon!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Riverdog,
Yes you can still plant onions. Mine are just now going to bloom. Somewhere on this form I have posted harvest pictures from a week ago. I will replant with sets in another week. If you are planting from seed you can do that also but as always will take longer. I will continue to plant onions throughout the summer and into fall. They of course will do better toward the end of summer but you should still get a nice harvest. Well drained soil a little on the sandy side enriched with compost has worked best for me.The worst thing you may encounter is if we have a wet year like last year. If condidtions are to wet they will rot in the ground. Most planting charts do not take into account the weather patterns we have in Florida even though they go by zone.

RiverDog

Cool, glad to hear it. How deep should I mix in the compost? I was thinking 2ft' should be good enough. Should I fertilize at all or just let the compost do it's thing and water as needed? Is it ok to plant lettuce or cabbage along side the onions? Are these enough questions? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help! :D

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
i think 8 tp 10" is deep enough for your compost RiverDog...and it should take care of the feeding also...I do plant leaf lettuce/greens along the sides of my onions...

Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I don't use fertilizer but do use organice compost and such. Yes, feeding is important or the bulbs won't set large. 10-12" deep is plenty for most onions. Spacing is essential for production give each onion at least 6-8 inches of it's very own growing space and the add at least 2" inches in between plants. IF seeding plant about 10" apart.

Attachments

• Onions.jpg
    Onions.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 277

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com