Transplanting Potted Hibiscus

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

reneforkelly

Hey everyone! I'm new here and I apologize for starting a new thread. I tried finding a thread that already addressed my issue but I couldn't readily find one so I'm sure someone will kindly direct me to one if there is one and the mods will lock this one. LOL!

I have a perennial Hibiscus that I bought several years ago and planted it in a pot. It has done very well but it has outgrown it's pot. I would like to replant it in the ground. I was wondering if that's possible? Also, I've noticed, this year in particular, that I see no new growth towards the middle of the plant and only the outer edges so I'm wondering if I also need to divide it and if so, how I divide it without hurting it.

Any help would be much appreciated and of course, it's starting to grow so time is of the essence :)

Last edited:

Kya D

Hi welcome!!!!!
What zone are you in?
I have a beautiful hardy Hibiscus and it wintered over two years here in zone 4

Blueaussi

Oh, I love Texas Star Hibiscus!

I'm in zone 8a, and mine has been in the ground for years. You will have some dead looking stalks, but it should come back nicely. I've never tried to divide mine, I propagate more from seed or I've even rooted a few of the stems.

reneforkelly

Perfect! Thank you so much for the link! I found an article on dividing it as well and I'm so glad to know they recommend to do it in the Spring.

And thank you for all of the welcomes everyone!

I have another question. Can someone tell me if there is a thread just for general questions.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rene, there may not be one, but feel free to ask just about anywhere and if needed, you could be directed from that point.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com