Tree Growing

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Elsma

I recently needed to cut down tree in backyard and want to replace with another tree. I am located in NJ and wondering what are the fastest growing trees for my area are.

Hi Elsma!
How large it the area you want to plant?
Would you like an evergreen, or deciduous, plain or flowering?
There are a lot of species you can chose from depending on the area.

As Ron mentions, there are a lot of options. Said kindly, I would suggest that you not make "what grows the fastest" the top priority.
Here in Washington state, we have cottonwoods. They're essentially gigantic weeds. They do grow fast. They're also not overly strong, and frequently blow down in storms. They also emit huge amounts of seed (the "cotton") so much so that we get little "snow drifts" when they're in bloom. The paper companies do grow them to create wood as quickly as possible. However, I would rarely if ever recommend them to somebody for planting in your yard. So be sure and learn a lot more than just "how fast does this get big?"

Any in the willow and poplar families are not a good choice for windy areas that get freezing rain during the winter month....cottonwoods have a bad habit of sucking, as do some of the willows...
Research is a must when looking for that perfect tree...best to go with native species from your area!

Reactions: bob

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back