Tri-color Chicken Tortellini

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Captainobvious

Captain's Chicken Tortellini

Im a huge fan of Italian food so this is a favortie of mine. Ate something similar at a restaurant once and decided I needed to come up with a recipe of my own. Hope you enjoy it :)

This dish is a tasty chicken/pasta combo in a creamy marinara sauce.
Serves 5-6

Ingredients:
One half of a fresh onion (red is best)
1.5-2lbs boneless chicken breast (thawed, not frozen)
24 ounces tri-color tortellini pasta
1 small garlic bulb
16oz jar of spaghetti sauce
6-8oz of Alfredo sauce, OR 3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup of sliced mushrooms (optional)
1 Teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons Chopped Parsley
2 Tablespoons butter or Oil

Directions:
In a large pasta pot, begin heating water to a boil.
Slice the chicken breast into small pieces (about the size of a grape).
Chop the onion and mince one garlic bulb. Put the butter/oil in a large frying pan and heat
to medium. Mix in the chicken, mushrooms, garlic and half of the chopped onion (a quarter onion)
into the frying pan on medium heat and allow to cook for 8 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Stir frequently.
Remove from heat and keep covered.
Place the tri-color tortellini in the boiling pot for 8 minutes or until they
float to the surface of the water. Do not over cook. (Helps to turn the temp down from a vigorous boil to light bubbling)
Drain and let sit.
While the pasta is draining, put the spaghetti sauce and alfredo
sauce/heavy cream into a large pot and heat over medium heat. ( I generally like to mix about a 3:1 ratio of red sauce to white)
When the sauce is hot, add in the pasta and the chicken mixture. Add black pepper
and a pinch or 2 of salt. Continue to heat to reduce the sauce a bit.
(Usually about 8-10 minutes) . Stir in remaining raw red onion. Cool for 10 minutes to allow the sauce to
thicken. Top each dish with a pinch of chopped parsley.
Serves 5-6

Goes great with garlic bread and a green veggie.

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com