Tulips, crocus and Aliums

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

R

RiverRock

I had the chance couple weeks ago to get a bunch of these bulbs from my neighbors yard, they were growing like crazy everywere...oh and some Iris also.
From what I undserstand now though, the ones I dug up will not flower next year becase I dug them in the spring? The ones I dug up I potted in large pots to use for trades and they are growing good...some are even getting ready to flower. So why would they not flower next year if i put them in the ground this fall?

RR

Annette99

I've moved bulbs and iris in the spring and haad them bloom the same year, maybe it's the size of the division or bulb thaat determines when it will bloom, just make sure that the iris are put in a real sunny spot.

sfishergirl

I have moved iris, hosta, daffodils and peony in the spring and had them all bloom the following spring. I have never tried to moved crocus. I don't have any tulips or alliums. Let me know how you make out with the alliums. I would like to try them next year

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
They should all bloom next yr for you. I've moved them all different times of the yr and they have bloomed the next yr for me

R

RiverRock

Thank you all for the info I am glad they will still bloom. Plus I want those s send them to to have a nice flower next year also.
My neighbor is a single man that lives alone but is never home and the aliums an iris are growing all over his yard even outside the fence so I asked him if I could take some and he was pleased o have m get all I wanted:) I am going to get more that are outside the fence, it will help him cleaning up some and also fun trades for me:)

RR

myfedora

Lucky!

Your lucky that you have a neighbor like that! I have transplanted all different times of the year and they have always bloomed for me. I even planted tulips in the middle of summer and came up that next spring. Everyone was telling me that I could only plant tulips in spring or fall. Proved them wrong!;)

R

RiverRock

That is very encouraging to me. I have some I still want to plant in my flower beds and some I can still use for trading:) Thank you.

RR

Dor

I love tulips but they don't do well here because our winters aren't cold enough.

R

RiverRock

Tulips are one of my favorite flowers, thats why I named my cat Tulip..lol

I would love to get some of the exotic kinds some day.

RR

Mitransplant

Dor I share your love for them also and I'm in the same boat as you. We just don't get the sustained cold that they need here in my part of Arizona. I even tried some of the species tulips but they only lasted the one year. So I have to adjust to admiring them in the grocery stores and leaving them there. Big change from growing them as perennials to using them as annuals.

Dor

Dor I share your love for them also and I'm in the same boat as you. We just don't get the sustained cold that they need here in my part of Arizona. I even tried some of the species tulips but they only lasted the one year. So I have to adjust to admiring them in the grocery stores and leaving them there. Big change from growing them as perennials to using them as annuals.

I bought lots of the species tulips around 4 years ago when I seriously started gardening. They only lasted that year. We will have to admire them from afar.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Deer love tulips, so had to give up on having them. I love them too. Had over 100 a few yrs ago, but the deer wiped them out and they never came back.

DizzyDaff

I bought lots of the species tulips around 4 years ago when I seriously started gardening. They only lasted that year. We will have to admire them from afar

You know, I love EEs, harlequin flowers, glads, dahlias & such, even though they are not hardy enough for winters here, so I grow through the summer, dig them up & store them for the winter & in spring we start all over again.

You could grow tulips, etc same as I grow those - either put the bulbs in a container or in a spot you can dig them from easily - then store them in a cool spot for the hottest part of the summer/fall, then put the bulbs in the back of your fridge for about 6-8 weeks before replanting.

I know, it's alot to go through, but that's the only way I can have all those tender plants I love so much and have to say - it's worth it when you see those blooms! :rolleyes: Plus, you get to share the ones which have multiplied. LOL!

Treva

OOPS!!!!!!!!!!
Dizzy the tulips you sent me a couple years ago bloomed the first year you sent them, and have not since!
Now I know Why!:eek:
You know, I love EEs, harlequin flowers, glads, dahlias & such, even though they are not hardy enough for winters here, so I grow through the summer, dig them up & store them for the winter & in spring we start all over again.

You could grow tulips, etc same as I grow those - either put the bulbs in a container or in a spot you can dig them from easily - then store them in a cool spot for the hottest part of the summer/fall, then put the bulbs in the back of your fridge for about 6-8 weeks before replanting.

I know, it's alot to go through, but that's the only way I can have all those tender plants I love so much and have to say - it's worth it when you see those blooms! :rolleyes: Plus, you get to share the ones which have multiplied. LOL!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com