underground raiders

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

birkie2

Some animals ate almost all of the large seeds--corn, peas, and beans--that I planted in my large country garden for the third year. I believed they were mice but have noticed mole tunnels running right down my rows about the time the seeds would have germinated. I have since read that moles, even tho predators, relish germinating seeds--especially corn. I tried planting the seeds in pots and then putting them out when they were up and growing but this is a major effort. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can protect the seeds or else coat them with a repellent?

I have an on-going battle with moles and gophers. Most of my problems are with moles, but I have caught three gophers this year and only two moles. I quit trying to raise root vegetables though for this reason. I was told by someone that moles are carnivores and will not eat vegetables, but it isn't so. I have caught moles in their tunnels along my rows of plants and the evidence is right there.

One thing here in Fl that the moles are after is grubs. I find if I keep control of the grubs I don't have the moles. However I have other pest such as dillas and opossums. It is a never ending battle with critters.
If you are not organic go to your local garden center and get a grub control for lawns. If you are organic you can access Gardensalive.com through this site. They have all types of organic grub control. By using this site to access other sites you can help keep us on line;)

My garden is in the country, surrounded by farm fields and extensive lawn so getting rid of moles and mice is almost an impossibility. I did try milky spore once with no effect. We have also tried exhaust and water down the tunnels--also nothing. I've been thinking of putting down a "v" of hardware cloth and planting in that but hoped someone had a better suggestion. I would think there might be something I could soak the seeds in before planting but have not found anything that repels the raiders.:(

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back