Unknown Tree?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mssbass

Can anyone tell me what kind of tree this is and what these silver splotches are?

Attachments

• UnknownTree.jpg
    UnknownTree.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 303
  • TreeDisease1.jpg
    TreeDisease1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 318
  • TreeDisease2.jpg
    TreeDisease2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 311
  • TreeDisease3.jpg
    TreeDisease3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 299

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
need more info.....where do you live and also a few pics of the bark, stem and end buds would help.
I'm thinking magnolia....the damage on the leaves look like wind damage.....so I take it this tree is in an open windy area.

mssbass

I live near Gulf Shores Alabama (south Alabama near beach) - Yes, it's in an open windy area. I'll get some pictures when it's not raining:)

mssbass

Here are some more pictures - can we identify this magnolia? It never bloomed either. The flowers died before they bloomed.

Attachments

• IMG_1908 (1).jpg
    IMG_1908 (1).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1909 (1).jpg
    IMG_1909 (1).jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1910 (1).jpg
    IMG_1910 (1).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_1911 (1).jpg
    IMG_1911 (1).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 340

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could be catalpa! It is a small tree with smallish sized flowers. The seed cases usually hang once they ripen and have winged seeds!

mssbass

No small flowers produced - looks like it was going to produce some large flowers - typical of magnolia but never did.

mssbass

Yes - I think it looks very similar - looks like there are alot of variations. I'm sad it didn't bloom even though the buds were there. Also, yellow on the leaves. Think it needs food?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com