Victory Garden Resurgence: Passing Time By Growing Gardens

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

R

Raffaele DiLallo

Wow, these are some crazy times that we are living in right now! Although life has completely changed and has been taxing for the entire world right now, I like to look at the positive side in situations. Many of us are either working from home or perhaps have even been laid off. Times WILL get better. Just remember that. And in the meantime, don’t stop gardening – indoors and outdoors. Connect to Mother Nature because this will ground you and be the therapy that you need during this challenging time.

Given the widespread panic over current events and many people stuck at home, why not take the time to grow your own food and flowers? This is exactly what I’m doing.

Grow Your Own Food and More

Years ago, I was blessed to be given a wonderful hand-built seed-starting shelf with three total shelves that are easily adjustable. There are also grow lights installed on each shelf, which I am in the process of upgrading to energy efficient LED grow lights. My friend’s grandfather, an avid gardener himself, passed away and my friend graciously donated the shelf to me because she knew I would use it.

I definitely used it for quite a while, and then it collected dust in the basement…but I’m back! Since I have more time at home now, I decided to go ahead and start most of the plants that I need for my vegetable garden, and also for my flower gardens.

Given the current events, I predicted that many people will be starting their own Victory Garden, and sure enough, when I tried ordering seeds online, they were all inundated with orders. Nevertheless, I placed my order and was also fortunate to have some leftover seeds from last year, so I went ahead and started those as I wait for the others to arrive.

I’ve already started some pepper plants indoors and have sown some annuals, like zinnia, moon vine, and Tithonia, that I’ll be growing in my vegetable garden. I have a bed in the ground near my vegetable garden that I will fill with flowers to attract pollinators for my vegetables, and to be a good steward for the bees, butterflies and birds. I look forward to sowing various peppers, heirloom tomatoes, and other vegetables when my seed order finally arrives.

In the meantime, I’ve directly sown many cold weather crop seeds in my raised beds outdoors. I’ve sown radishes, beets, Swiss chard, spinach, peas, romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce and arugula. I placed wire hoops with a garden cloth over that bed to protect everything from frost and torrential downpours while things are germinating.

I’m also dedicating one of my four raised beds to growing several varieties of culinary and medicinal herbs. I was delighted to see that my German chamomile had reseeded with a vengeance in my growing gardens. I will have plenty of blossoms to dry for tea! I’m also planning on growing basil, parsley, cilantro, calendula, and a few herbs for medicinal purposes.

So keep gardening, and stay grounded and connected with nature until this whole Covid mess blows over. This too shall pass!

The post Victory Garden Resurgence: Passing Time By Growing Gardens appeared first on Gardening Know How's Blog.

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com