vine help

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

clemok

i recently just did some tree removal in a area on my property. the reson for doing so was because of the vines that are destroying everything around them. these vine are about 1" to 2-1/2" in dia. and when i was cutting them with chainsaw as close to the ground as possible i noticed alot of water was running out of them about a half a gallon or so. there are also smaller vines that are all over the tops of trees none of these seem to flower or have leaves. any insight on what all these vines are and ways to permenitly remove them? i dont want to keep cutting trees down and would like to perceed to clean up and try to pervent these vines from killing all the other trees.

Blueaussi

Any chance you could make a picture? It's truly worth a thousand words in a situation like this.

Could the lack of flowers or leaves at this point be because it's too early in the season? Would you mind posting your USDA Zone? It would give us a better idea of what grows and overwinters in your area, and when vines might be expected to break dormancy.

I can think of a lot of vines that get large, like kudzu, wild grape, or wisteria, but a little more information would be helpful.

clemok

i will try to post a photo possibly tomorrow. i beleive i am in zone 6 i live in pittsburgh pa. i have been in my new home for only 1 year so i am not 100% for sure but i dont beleive i saw any flowers or leaves on the vines last spring/summer, for sure not on the thick heavy ones.
i realy want to clean these up there is alot of trees that have these growing on them it seem as if it is in patches like ten trees here and maybe 20 yrds over it starts attacking some more trees. it is a very wooded area where i am at.
thanks for interest hopfully you will be able to help me out.

DoorsFan

Hey clemok,

My husband & I have been going crazy on our property this year. We also have a ton of vines that we've had to clear out because they are messing with our apple trees and pine trees. I believe ours are wild grape vines. They do drip water out of them. This is the first year we have tackled this situation so I don't know what will happen next year, but we cut them as close to the ground as possible and snipped them off the trees. The trees look so much better now. Our plan is to go crazy on all of the invasive plants now and then try to keep up with it throughout the year. Like I said I can't give much advice because I don't know what will happen next year.

Kya D

Hi there Doorsfan
Please introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your live, likes, and dislikes.
I really do want to WELCOME you to our site. So kick back, relax and enjoy.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
i will try to post a photo possibly tomorrow. i believe i am in zone 6 i live in pittsburgh pa. i have been in my new home for only 1 year so i am not 100% for sure but i dont beleive i saw any flowers or leaves on the vines last spring/summer, for sure not on the thick heavy ones.
i realy want to clean these up there is alot of trees that have these growing on them it seem as if it is in patches like ten trees here and maybe 20 yrds over it starts attacking some more trees. it is a very wooded area where i am at.
thanks for interest hopfully you will be able to help me out.

Hi Clemok!
A big invasive vine is Wild Grape! Another is Virginia Creeper! Both will, over time completely cover large trees and will eventually kill them!
Have fun rooting them out, it is a tall job, and one which will take time and diligence!

DoorsFan

You guys are so friendly! :) My name is Courtney. I live in PA. I like long walks on the beach.... just kidding. I like kayaking, camping, hiking, reading, Phillies, crafts and of course gardening. I obviously love The Doors. :) This year will be my first real veggie garden. I will need all the advice I can get. It looks like this is the place to be to learn.

Scarez

Hi clemok,

What about taking some vine bits to a local nursery, or perhaps a tree trimming company and asking someone there what they think? My guess is that someone else in your area has had the same problem.

Just a thought :p

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clemok,

You can try ( and I say this as a last resort as I believe in organics) buying some Roots N All used very sparingly for only the worse cases it is a good product for invasive vines. We have poison ivy that grows like trees here . What I do is cut the vive as close to the ground as you have discribed and then treat only the cut of the vine with the product. I use it full strength and apply it only to the fresh cut of the vine. It will kill off the rest of the root system. Be sure not to let it get on anything surrounding it as it will kill that too. You may have to make 2 treatments depending on how large the vine is. Make sure that you cut every vine and treat ever vine at the sametime to avoid reoccurance. Sometimes they are inter connceted and it make it much harder to get rid of if you do them on diffrent days.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com