vines for a pergola

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

steeandmarge

We just purchased a small pergola kit (6x6) online and I installed it in our backyard. Now, my wife and I are debating on what is a 'perfect' vine to climb on our pergola. I suggested we go for Clematis (they said it's a good vine for pergolas) but she wants roses. I have no experience growing clematis and have no idea if roses would be good? What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

swindy

HI Steeandmarge welcome to GardenForums, hope I can help a little with your question.
Hopefully Kale our in-house expert on Roses will stop by and offer her knowledge on roses.

As both roses and clematis are great for a pergola, it will depend on what type of sun you have in your garden where you are placing the pergola. Clematis needs their roots in shade and there vines in sun. What zone are you in? Roses need a lot of care, water and sun.
Hope to see you around the threads. Jump in where ever you like.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
hello and welcome to you both....either would be a wonderful addition...we had an evergreen Clematis growing on a trellis on the front porch of our last house...it was beautiful and the smell was heavenly when it was in bloom...unless you get th eold heirloom roses you will get beauty but no wonderful smell....
knowing your gardening zone and also where in your yard you plan on planting...full sun/ part sun and so on....this would help a bit in what might be the best for your yard...
If you are just looking for something to grow part of the year...grapes might also be a good pick for you...

if you don't mind something that might take some work at keepingunder control..trupet vine is pretty ...but can get away from you if not watched and depending on your area...another one would be passion fruit...

Last edited:

swindy

Debe is Passion fruit the same plant as Passion Vine? If it is, it is such a unbelievably beautiful flower and a very fast growing vine.

Regarding the Trumpet Vine --as Debe said it can be a real problem. I had 2 of them for 3 years and then had to take it down as we were demolishing the garage it was planted against . The roots were the size of baseball bats. I was taking all the plants out of that area to do the tear down and found the roots had grown throughout the entire garden area. I was standing up and pulling these roots with both hands and it was like ropes winding all around the garden, I was really sure that I had pulled all the roots out and sifted through the soil making sure I didn't miss any. Well I guess I must have missed some deeply buried hairs of it and for the next 5 years I had trumpet vine coming up all over the place, in the garden areas and the lawns. I love the vine but I would never have it in my gardens ever again.

Kya D

I have never grown a clematis either. All I remember is Mom telling me that they want to have their face in the sun and their feet in the shade.

treeman

As far as a clematis on a a bower is concerned, consider the Sweet Autumn Clematis. It will give you a blanket of small white blooms that are very fragrant in the late summer to fall. The foilage is dark glossy green and prolific, yet the it behaves itself. Its a fast grower and will cover the bower in a year or two. This ight be the evergreen clematis that DEbe mentioned above. It can be evergreen depending upon your climate.

You can consider planting one vine on one side and another type on the other and letting them intertwine over head.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com