Weird Leaf Fungus ?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GPM

I have a Hale-Haven Peach tree with funny looking leaves. Just bubbly looking and no content of any kind. See the picture....What is it ?

Attachments

• Weirdleaf.jpg
    Weirdleaf.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 390
Thanks for the tip. Now how do I control it without picking off the bad leaves ?

The link indicated that I need some Lime-Sulfur spray, but only applied in the late fall after the leaves fell off. Any other suggestions ?

Fungi as such a pain!!!
You can wait until the leaves fall off in a week, or so. Prune out any new stems that have died, back to good wood,
The tree will shed the infected leaves and will try to replace them, which weakens the tree! Rake them up and burn them to kill the spore on the leaves!
You need to break the cycle so using a Dorment Oil will kill off the spores that winter on the stems and branches! So you will need a combination of Lime Sulphur, as well as Dorment Oil
Please read the directions on the Lime Sulphur, and Dorment Oil, on when to spray and the frequency of follow up spraying!
Dorment Oil is used before the tree comes out of dormency!
Lime Sulphur is used at the same time and as a follow up spray after the tree leafs out!
I haven't had to use either product for quite a few years so please read the directions on the products so you wont misuse it unintentionally!
Peach trees, as well as other fruit trees are rather high maintenance!!!

Since you are dealing with fungi and spores remember to sterilize your pruning shears to help prevent spreading it around! Also wash your hands<--this sound funny but spores will cling to your skin and help spread them around!
You gotta practice good hygiene!;)

Man O Man, break out the surgical gloves ! I've picked off most of the infected leaves. Later on I'll grab the ladder and do the rest. Burn them, I will. This is one of the better years for my peach trees. Thanks for the tips, Ron. One thing I have to remember is not to buy products that are toxic to fish or my Honeybees. Anything copper based is not good. Sulfur is OK, but not to get it on the bees. The good news is all the trees are set to fruit and are no longer flowering. On occasion, I've seen and treated for tent caterpillars, however, most look well on their way through the season.

Ron,

Would you say dormant oil is a good idea for all my fruit trees ?

It is a good all purpose treatment!
Best used as a preventative. I would only use it on dorment trees though, since the oil will cause scorching and will damage the foliage!
With the lime sulphur, use it on cool, dry, cloudy day with no wind.
I'm going to have to go look up a few things since I'm a bit rusty:
Here's a short article that will be helpful:
http://www.wezel.com/garden/articles/limesul.htm
And one more:
http://www.plantersplace.com/community/viewblog.aspx?BlogId=4&EntryId=150

I have had no problems with my little peach tree so far this year....knocks on wood.... In fact mine already has some peaches on it :D .

010-1.jpg
011-1.jpg

Hope you get yours back to good health.

Yes, I hope so. Now and then I see some infected leaves and pick them off.

Your trees seem to have a longer growing season. From the South somewhere ?

I don't know about this concept, however, with the birds landing on the tree branches and touching the leaves is it possible to spread the spores that way ?

I don't know about this concept, however, with the birds landing on the tree branches and touching the leaves is it possible to spread the spores that way ?

More then likely!
The winds spreads it also!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back