What are you spring plans?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
It's spring! Well, maybe, sort of, when it's not snowing... But it will be spring soon enough.

What are you plans for you garden this year? Do you have any big projects in mind? Trying something new? What's the first thing you're going to do in the garden this spring?

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a photo from my garden to get things started. My primroses have decided that spring has indeed sprung.

BD8_7573.jpg

Gardengoddess

We moved last year so this is our first Spring in the new digs. Of course this means new beds :) I'm leaning more toward an "Asian fusion" type design but then I'm pretty easy to distract so we'll see what happens.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
We moved last year so this is our first Spring in the new digs. Of course this means new beds :) I'm leaning more toward an "Asian fusion" type design but then I'm pretty easy to distract so we'll see what happens.

What's an Asian fusion? It might be sort of what I've got in my backyard. I've got a lace leaf maple and moss and ferns and rocks. As well as the traditional Japanese favorite, Shamrocks. :) They don't really fit the rock garden theme in a traditional way, but I love them and they do well here, so they're part of the mix.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last fall after hurricane Matthew slammed us and wrecked everything with 5ft flood waters, I sadly came to the realization that I can no longer garden at the speed I once did. :confused: Soooooo, I had my guy that helps me from time to time, break down my garden fence from 2500sf to just about 600sf. I just couldn't deal with massive recovery of flower beds as well as the veggie garden.
I need to get finished with rehab of that veggie space. My winter crops look great and I'm starting to bed spring summer plants.
I still have a lot of ornamental death to deal with from Matthew.
Anyone want to help?:p

Reactions: bob

Gardengoddess

What's an Asian fusion? It might be sort of what I've got in my backyard. I've got a lace leaf maple and moss and ferns and rocks. As well as the traditional Japanese favorite, Shamrocks. :) They don't really fit the rock garden theme in a traditional way, but I love them and they do well here, so they're part of the mix.
Shamrocks, ah that anchor of every Asian garden lol. Basically I’ve got a neighborhood pond in my new yard and I thought an Asian theme would be a great way to incorporate it as I’ve always found water soothing. I’m planning peonies, and evergreens. The existing beds have rock as mulch so I plan to pull that out and use some for a short dry creek bed. There also a few shrubs that need to be dug out as they’re to big for the space they’re in. Of course a couple a clematis for height. The rest will come as inspiration hits me lol

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm usually in the garden at this time of the month, doing cleaning up, pruning, cultivating the soil, and adding bagged sheep manure......not this year! Looks like we will be staying in winter weather until the end of April.....
It has been just too cold to get anything done...the ground is either too wet from rain, or it gets covered in snow! Having a lot of nights below freezing and the ground freezes!
All I can do is dream!

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
A couple years ago I had sciatica and back problems so bad I was in a wheel chair for most of that Spring and Summer. I'm just getting to the point I can get down and dig in the dirt again and looking forward to it. I've just started cleaning up the past years of mess from weather and neglect. I see that I've lost a lot. The winter was colder than normal and we had a few ground freezes. In SC we never dig our plants in the winter, it never freezes enough to kill rhizomes but it did this year! I should have mulched but didn't. All I can say is that I have a load of work to do!

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Gloria, if you have back problems, have you given thought to doing at least a portion of the garden as raised beds?

It seems to me that doing a raised bed, and also planting plants really close together to get as many as possible in there, kind of the "Square foot gardening" approach. You get maximum plants and them being dense helps reduce weeds as well. Seems like it may be an option for some, though I realize that cost and space are both issues. Also, obviously it won't work for things like flower beds that are planted in a certain location to be decorative.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tim built me a raised bed when I was in a wheelchair. Now that I'm up and in good shape, I still really appreciate that bed being up. I wish I had more. I'll post a picture when the rain stops

Reactions: bob

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Shamrocks, ah that anchor of every Asian garden lol.

I know, right? My garden is only very loosely inspired by Asian design. It has rocks and moss and gravel "stream" and lots of ferns and well, shamrocks. I think they're cool, and also because they bear a resemblance to the Pacific Northwest native Oxalis (wood sorrel). I'd use the Sorrel instead but my home is in the lowlands and the summer heat can be too much for them. The Shamrocks don't seem to mind it.

While nobody will think my garden is totally natural, it has a native plant theme to it as well. I love the ferns and moss along with a couple of fir trees.

Last edited:

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a peak at the garden. It's pretty small and probably needs more care than I find time to give it. I only have so many hours in the day, and so many demands for my time. This was taken in spring, so the ferns aren't filled in yet. They are behind the lace leaf maple and Rhody on the left.

garden.jpg

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow! You guys are all busy already! We have planted some tomatoes and corn. Every time we decide to plant more, a cold front moves through. This has really been an unusual Spring here in South Carolina. Normally the vegetables would be planted and half way to maturity. Hubby and I hope to be able to plant cucs and squash and a few other veggies next week.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com