What are your 5 favorite flowers?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's hard to pick just 5 as I have many.
Lilacs
Day lilies
Hostas
Irises
Daffodils

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I alway have in my veggie garden:
Marigolds
Zinnias
Sunflowers

But I love
Hybiscus
Mexican Petunias

Jules

My favourites....hmmm....
Daylilies
Clematis
Daffodils
Azaleas
Iris

it is interesting to see the varied lists depending on the zones one lives. I love Hibiscus, but can't grow them here b/c of hte cold winters.

Jules

I doubt it Mainey - even though we are rated at a 5a, I still loose some plants - our house is so open and we get bone chilling winds in the winter time so I go with plants at zone 4 and below. I have lost some plants that should never have died!!!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jules & Maine,
I have to see if I can find them, but I had seen minature hybiscus somewhere that were said to be great for growing indoors in northern areas. I'll let you know if I can find them again. Wow It's great to now have a place to share all this cool stuff as soon as I find it!

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very hard to choose just five favorites but here goes.. and not neccessarily in this order.
1 Hydrangias
2 Gardenias
3 Camelias
4 Iris
5 Roses

Jules

Gloria....I so love Camillias - another one I can't grow here. Out west - in BC, where I grew up - they grow practically out of control - and so beautiful. I remember seeing them in Myrtle Beach last March

Jules

Jules & Maine,
I have to see if I can find them, but I had seen minature hybiscus somewhere that were said to be great for growing indoors in northern areas. I'll let you know if I can find them again. Wow It's great to now have a place to share all this cool stuff as soon as I find it!
I too have seen the indoors one...and they are ever so pretty. We do have a lot of light in our home...and probably could grow them, but prefer the outdoors ones. I brought in my two pots of gerber daisies this fall and they are blooming beautifully now. They are very finicky though - if I drop the blinds during the day at all, they let me know they are not happy ;)

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Camellias

Gloria....I so love Camillias - another one I can't grow here. Out west - in BC, where I grew up - they grow practically out of control - and so beautiful. I remember seeing them in Myrtle Beach last March

That's right! I knew I'd talked to you on a forum somewhere but couldn't remember which. I still can't remember which but I do remember that you visited Myrtle Beach. You came within 60 miles of me. I used to go to M-Beach quite a bit when hubby did motel renovations there.
I have a pink and a red camillia but I want allllll the colors. Windsor Plantation in Georgetown, SC has them in all shades from white to deep scarlet red. I've tried to do cuttings from those and failed. I thought I had a seedling one time but it turned out to be a Magnolia tree..which is now 6 foot and growing in my back yard..

ladyhawthorne

lilacs which unfortunately will not grow here
blood lillies
jasmine
narcissus which are starting to bloom already for me
and a new favorite, turk's cap

kozykitten

There is no way I can pick 5, my favorites change from day to day lol

Lilacs always make the top 5 though and then I like iris's, wisteria, columbine and hyacinth bean.

M

Mari-Jo

Just five?.............:)
Coneflower
Mexican Sunflower
Peacock Orchid
Hosta's
Toadlily

Only five is hard!! LOL

Daffodils in the spring
Lilacs soon after..
Lillies of all kinds, Days, Oriental, Asiatic,
Dahlias bloom all summer
Cannas for tropical

oh my it is hard to stop at only 5!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com