What do you plant in containers?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

myfedora

Here is what the local nursery is doing this year. They took a 12" plastic hanging basket, cut a hole in the bottom, and put a tomato plant in it. Then for the top of the basket they planted herbs. I think the ones I seen had parsley in it. I thought it was neat. But I wasn't going to pay $12 for that! When I could do it for about $4.

wallance

Roses are very popular landscape plants grown for their beauty. Roses are susceptible to several insects and diseases which reduce flower growth and quality as well as frustrate rose gardeners. In general, these insects do not kill the plant, but may stunt or kill parts, affect flowering, or cause aesthetic damage. Learning the proper care of roses and management of pest problems increases your success in growing a beautiful rose bush.

Chemical insecticides are only effective until the target pest develops a resistance to that chemical. Then it becomes necessary to alternate harmful substances to control an insect population that continually gets worse because of lack of competition and natural predators due to high concentrations of chemicals. The major rose pests that we encounter here in your rose garden can be controlled by establishing populations of two beneficial insects and periodic treatments with a bacterium and a tree sap extract. The two beneficial insects are the Green Lacewing and Trichogramma Wasps. These two insects will guard your roses against everything from Aphids to some Scales and Spider Mites. Lacewings are very active and voracious feeders whose host or target prey are aphids, mealybugs, whiteflies of some species, juvenile scale insects, and some spider mites. The tiny Trichogramma wasp is a parasite of caterpillars some species of budworm and will antagonize a number of other butterfly and moth species. These parasites do not have a stinger (no need to fear them), they have an ovipositor that lays her eggs inside the host. As the wasp larvae develop they use the host as a food supply.

halfway

I used several "homer" buckets from lowes, menards, and home depot this year. It looked like a party on the porch with those different colors!!!!

I like the 5 gallon buckets because they allow tall plants some stability and hold enough soil to maintain moisture.

We ended up with serrano and anaheim peppers, and a couple bush goliath and burpee cherry tomatoes.

It worked out well this year because of all the rain. With the handles, we were able to bring them under the porch to let them dry out. The plants in the buckets out produced the raised beds on a plant by plant basis and I believe it was the ability to better control the moisture during this crazy summer.

I'll add another 5 buckets to next year's crop. :)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are right in that container gardening can out produce the same plants in the garden!
I find growing eggplants and heirloom tomatoes in large containers is wonderful since I can regulate fertizer so I get constant growth and fruit production. Watering is easier too, since you can control the amount on a daily basis!

Mariposa

I have Hydrangeas, Irises, Roses, Clematis (3 different kinds) Morning Glories, Black Eyed Susan Vine, Mandevillas,Climbing Hydrangea,Bleeding Heart, Day Lilies, Shasta Daisies, Gaura, and Dahlias :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com