What hardiness zone are you in?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I'm in zone 5b this year but then this will change by spring I buy and plant as I would if I was in zone 5 just to be safe

I am in zone 8, but with this freakish winter that has unseasonably warm days (80+ yesterday,) and some unseasonably cold days (recently a high of 33,) I feel like my zone is really LIMBO. Is this a reflection of Global Warming or maybe Global Cooling??????????

I do use the tires, although I forgot to put them in last year and I paid the price. I barely got any tomatoes by the end of the season. You can't see them very well, but there are tomato cages in the tires too. I have a soaker hose on each row and the end of the soaker hose goes under and into the inner circle on the tire.

Attachments

• 2006 garden_0018a.jpg
    2006 garden_0018a.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 315
That was the wrong picture.

Attachments

• 2006 garden_0024a.jpg
    2006 garden_0024a.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 316
LOL Randy! I had to laugh ...Just to know I'm not the only one that makes mistakes makes me feel good! I could probably edit that for you but it does show step by step so I think it's better left alone.
Thanks for sharing, it's very interesting to see how that's done.

I'm in zone 5 here. Will have to try the tires and see if the maters do better. Will ask a coworker if he has some that he can give me

Randy when I looked at the first picture I thought that maybe you burried all the tires, and thought ---well maybe the soil heats the tires up enough to keep the plants warm on the cloudy Oregon days lol I guess the tires are really an ol Oregon trick. Boy Randy you really do have a nice gardening plot there.

I really do, Sharon and I am grateful for it. The last house we had was good for awhile, but the neighbors were close and planted trees close to the fence. Not only did the roots come under the fence, but the trees grew to about 30 feet tall and shaded our back yard. That stopped any possibility of ripe tomatoes there. I might have been able to grow cherry tomatoes but not the full-sized ones. I had saved a few tires that I was able to use, but a trip to the tire shop got me all the tires I wanted. They have to pay money to get rid of the junk tires and were happy to give me all I wanted.

My guess is that wind chill is calculated using the relative humidity and wind velocity. It's doubtful that plants are subject to wind chill as their not built the same way we are. Our bodies are cooled by evaporation and exhalation. Relative humidity affects the rate of evaporation as does wind velocity.

Good point Randy. Thanks! I kinda wondered why the distinction between temperature and wind chill. I mean if it feels like 0 why isn't it really 0 lol!

Dora/Garden Goddess

I've gone from zone 4 20 some years ago to zone 5b now. There must be something to this global warming.

I'm in zone 6. It could be worse. Each time I want to complain though, I try and remind myself that our weather pattern is responsible for our great berry crops.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back