What is this?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Spider_Lily

What is this bug. Do you know it has a shell that looks like sawdust. And has this head or tail that pop's out .It drags its self along.It's not mine a friend sent ths to me wondering what it is.

Attachments

• critter.jpg
    critter.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 321
What is this bug. Do you know it has a shell that looks like sawdust. And has this head or tail that pop's out .It drags its self along.It's not mine a friend sent ths to me wondering what it is.

It is a bag worm! They weave the bag as they grow and attatch it to a stem when they are ready to pupate. They will winter over in the bag and emerge as an adult next spring!
Heres a good site with lots of info on them:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2149.html

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back