What is this?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

R

RiverRock

I found this in a small area down by the river today and I like it but dont know what it is or if it is safe for the flower beds. Does anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• river plant 002.JPG
    river plant 002.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 283
  • river plant 003.JPG
    river plant 003.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 295
R

RiverRock

I went back and took pics of the whole plant so you can se what it looks like and how it grows.

I really do like it.

Attachments

• river plant 004.JPG
    river plant 004.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 297
  • river plant 005.JPG
    river plant 005.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 281
R

RiverRock

I tried that site but i could not find a match..thanks Kim!

Jade

I think that it is a euphorbia. My neighbor in Ontario had one that looked almost identical. Be careful with it is a euphorbia, some people are allergic to their sap. Unfortunately I am one of them. It was hot the day I worked on our neighbors yard and wiped my forehead to get the sweat off...I ened up in ER the next day because my eyes were swollen shut. I diagnosed myself...easy for the ER doctor.

Jade

Only some people are allergic RR, if you use garden gloves, don't worry about it. I like my hands in the dirt, and have rarely worn them unless I am working with spiny plants.

R

RiverRock

I wear gloves some times but not a lot and today when i was handling this plant I didnt have any gloves on so I just pray I will be ok from it.

RR

Jade

BEST ADVICE:
Some euphorbias are extremely aggressive (e.g. E. cyparissia, the cypress spurge), choose wisely; also, because euphorbia's milky sap is toxic, gardeners with sensitive skin should wear gloves; all who handle the plant should take care not to rub their eyes
http://www.npr.org/programs/talkingplants/profiles/euphorbia.html

Ha, I wish that I would have had that info before I wept my sweat off my brow. I steer very clear of all of them now, you never know when you will forget what is safe and what is not. I like the look of those Euphorbias and all of the new ones coming out, but I just can't plant them because I am allergic. I steered clear of anything at the Garden Center that said Euphorbia on it.
I was able to find the correct diagnosis on the internet before I went to the hospital, I love the internet.

Jade

Ha, I wish that I would have had that info before I wept my sweat off my brow. I steer very clear of all of them now, you never know when you will forget what is safe and what is not. I like the look of those Euphorbias and all of the new ones coming out, but I just can't plant them because I am allergic. I steered clear of anything at the Garden Center that said Euphorbia on it.
I was able to find the correct diagnosis on the internet before I went to the hospital, I love the internet.

By the way, Poinsettia is a Euphorbia, be careful wiih your Poinsettias, they are Euphorbias too.

R

RiverRock

Oh I love poinsettas!!

But I did get the other out of the yard for me and my animals sake. If I was alergic wouldnt I know by now its been awhile since i handled it.

RR

R

RiverRock

I dont thik I got the sap on me..if I did it was very little. I think I will be ok, I am glad some one knew what it was, I had stuck it in a pot in the front yard. I took it out and got rid of it.

A lesson learned though, wild plants can be dangrous if you dont know what you are handling.

RR

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com