What is wrong with my veggie plants?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Tlee411

This is my second year gardening. My plants did very well last year. I did the same things this year as I did last. My plants were very happy and looked to be thriving and over night all of my tomatoes and cucumbers (very far apart in my yard) look horrible. Can anyone tell me exactly what is happening? The only thing I can think of that happened right before this was I sprayed with neem oil. I accidentally used our tap water from the house which is softened with salt (which is considered high in salt by a water test) instead of filtered water like I normally do. This may have no connection but it’s the only thing that I can think of that might have happened.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    763.7 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 190

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Tlee.
Questions: did you plant in the same spot as last year? ( you should never plant in the same area as you did last year}
Did you add any compost to the soil before planting? (the more organic matter added to the soil the better for plant growth and the need for watering}
Why did you use neem oil, and when did you spray? (Use of any insecticide is best use in the late evening or very early morning so they have time to dry....strong sunlight will burn the leaves.)
When you water do you wet the plants, and when did you water, or just water the soil around the plants?
You can install an outside tap that bypasses the water softener....{hard water won't hurt the plants}.

Tlee411

Hi Tlee.
Questions: did you plant in the same spot as last year? ( you should never plant in the same area as you did last year}
Did you add any compost to the soil before planting? (the more organic matter added to the soil the better for plant growth and the need for watering}
Why did you use neem oil, and when did you spray? (Use of any insecticide is best use in the late evening or very early morning so they have time to dry....strong sunlight will burn the leaves.)
When you water do you wet the plants, and when did you water, or just water the soil around the plants?
You can install an outside tap that bypasses the water softener....{hard water won't hurt the plants}.
I rotated my plants. I hardened/conditioned my plants for longer than a week before planting. I added compost and leaves to the soil. I used the neem oil because I noticed small bullet holes on tomato plants and bigger holes in leaves on my flowers. I always spray neem oil at sundown. I use drip irrigation at the base to water with our hard water. I don’t wet the plants and I water at sun down close to dark or at night after it’s dark. My plants were in ground for a few weeks before this happened. We had some heavy rain a week and a half after planting and another day of harsh wind. The only thing that has changed this year is the use of peat moss in my garden because my soil was alkaline. Still wasn’t fully amended so I added some more at the bases. Could it have drifted and burnt my plants when it rained? The only other things I can think of is I used salty tap water for my neem mixture and we live by railroad tracks that haven’t been used in years. Thwy are in use this year so they went by and sprayed chemicals on the tracks to get rid of the weeds about a week maybe a little longer before my plants did this.

garry123

I think your plants are getting affected by insects which absorb all the nutrients which your plants require for growth and with lack of nutrients your plant's leaves get yellows and dull. To overcome this I would suggest using some insect control liquid fertilizers which help your plant protection and recover plant condition easily. I have tried my liquid fertilizers to combat this type of illness in my plants and the best method is using neem oil for plant protection. Thanks for me later.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com