what is your hardiness zone and elevation

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Zone 5a - elevation

Zone 5a
home elevation 5,300 ft
work elevation around 6,000 ft
(yep, work is uphill both ways! LOL) :D

On the shores of Lake Erie we are 571ft above sea level!
Looks like they updated the hardiness zones so we are now zone 6! <--that depends on the kind of winter we have averaged out, so I'd say 5/6!

We are zone 5a with an elevation of 0. Not sure what the elevation means....does that explain the windy wind that we get so frequently around here?

Dora

Some one needs to make up there minds, Wikipedia says I'm at 160ft above sea level and the city home page says I'm at 70ft above so I guess I'm some place in between or is the city sinking :confused:

Hmmmm a couple other sources have Granger between 800 and 1000 feet. I suppose it depends on exactly where the measurement is taken??

Dora

We are zone 5a with an elevation of 0. Not sure what the elevation means....does that explain the windy wind that we get so frequently around here?

Dora

Elevation is taken with the average sea level.
Sea level is 0 and it's all uphill from there!.

Yes but what does that mean for gardening? I've seen high elevation adjustments for recipes so that tells me something is different. I've heard that you have to take a couple of days to adjust to the altitude when you visit Denver. Kya and Dizzy do you notice an effect on the plants you grow?

Dora

It helps to track zones and elevation is factored into the various growing zones! All are based on the minimum winter temp the various plants can tolerate/survive!

I know this is why I made this post... I am amazed that people a 1000 ft are in the same zone as me at almost 6,000 ft.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back