What to grow in November

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

I live in zone 7b-8a and I want to start a garden now...as I am getting impatient having nothing to do. I am getting mixed info on the net. I want to know what I can grow in November here in Georgia. It gets about 30F at the most and doesnt snow here.

Some things I really want to grow are: Potatoes, Cucumbers, Corn, Greens, and other underground veggies like carrots, onions, beets, etc.

Any suggestions?

Hi Kellie,
It is a little late for potatoes , plant those early spring, in Fl we usually harvest them in April.
Cukes and corn are ok to plant in fall but with the temps dropping this week it is too late :( Try them in the early spring and you can plant as late as Oct 1 and still get a crop to harvest.
You are right on time for onions, and greens, if you use onion sets and can still buy greens as plants. Seeds may not germinate now with the ground cooling and the nights being so cool. Beets and carrots you can plant up until Oct 1 . They must be up and spouted before the ground cools down but will do good in this area as a early winter crop. You might be able to get some sweet potatoes but I doubt it mine will be ready to harvest the week of Thanksgiving and I think they may still be small.
Any cole crop , greens, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrobie, brussel sprouts if set as plants will do very well. You do not have to protect them from the cold as they love the cooler temps. Mustards and turnips, along with collards are really taking off right now. Most garden centers still have plants for sale. ;) You can plant strawberry sets but you must protect tehm from a harsh freeze.

Y'all are so lucky!!!
We plant tenders in June and pray that a frost won't take em. We pray to get a late frost maybe in Oct. so that we can get a crop. Yup on a good year we get 120 days of good garden weather

I live in zone 8 we had snow last winter for two day's.The first we have had in 15 yrs.I have planted turnip's,radish,collards,mustard,cabbage,broccolli,rutabaga.

My ruttabagas look great and they got rain last night. Radishs are hotter than you know what. I can't figure out why either. I love fall veggies!

I'm going to grow herbs again its been warm enough for them, the chives are setting buds again the choc mint is starting to grow again, think maybe winter missed us :D, and its only 4 months before I start my pole beans and any other seeds I have saved

If it stays this warm my tomatoes will ripen on the vine. If I were a plant I would love todays weather :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back