What Tomatoes are you going to grow?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

We have planted some big boy, early girl and celebrity but only 4 of each. We're not planting to many this year since I won't be canning or freezing anything this year. We will plant a few more later in the season (like July) so we'll have some until frost. I also put a sweet 100 in a pot on the deck so I can just walk out the door and eat them right off the vine. My little great granddaughter likes to eat them like that too. Thats my main reason for putting one so the deck.

I'm going with the Bush Goliath again this year. Big meaty tomatoes and only had to stake 2 of the plants rest of them didn't need it. Got the seed from totallytomatoes.

Oh MY! I have never heard of many of those toms you all posted!*LOL
Do we love tomatoes or what*LOL
Do you all store?

I sowed for home grow and use and distribution
Waiting for germination.
Beef
Italian Roma
Roma VB
Roma SanMarzano
Roma Pomadora
Roma Polish
Roma Burpees
Big Mama Hybrid

Heirlooms
Peach
Zebra
Oxheart

Kale:)

Maggie, that is a good reason to have a tomato plant on the back deck. I will have one on our back porch for much the same reason, although my daughter will use some in salads also. But the primary reason is so my grandson can pilfer tomatoes when he wants to.

Lol... is there any grandparent here who does not keep on on the deck for the little ones when they come over? :) We don't get very hot weather in summer and some summers can be so rainy tomatoes don't do well at all :( so, we've picked out the few that always do well for us no matter what and only grow them. Early girl always does so well, sweet 100's and sweet millions for smaller ones. :)

In march I put one early girl and one celebraty in the ground. I have several tomatoes set on already. can't wait till they are bigger and ripe.

I forgot to set my tires around the tomato plants last year and I am sure that made a difference. The black tires absorb heat during the day and radiate that heat back as the evening cools off. That gives us just a little more edge on getting some ripe tomatoes.

Randy that is probably a great idea for you to get the heat to produce your tomatoes. This week it's going to be in the upper 80's it's in the low 80's here already. Yesterday we planted some of our tomatoes. Windy but we still planted them. Dug the holes and put all the stuff we normally do, alphafa pellets, cotton seed meal and bagged cow manure. This year the man that cracked our pecans gave us some of the fine pieces of the pecan shells and pecans and we added that to the whole. He said the pecan shells and pecans helped the acidity to the soil. I love an acid tasting tomato. We shall see if it makes a difference. We only planted 12 tomatoes yesterday but we put the wire cages around them as well. Now we just have to put the pine straw out and those are ready. They have tomatoes on the bushes so I am cheering them on. Hope we will have tomatoes to eat 30 days.

I am thinking that I should move farther south, although PA is much better than Ontario. I love Savannah, but hubby isn't sure. I am hoping for tomatoes mid July which will be at least a month earlier than where we were. I can't wait for my first tomato on toast sandwich with miracle whip, butter, white pepper and salt.

I forgot to set my tires around the tomato plants last year and I am sure that made a difference. The black tires absorb heat during the day and radiate that heat back as the evening cools off. That gives us just a little more edge on getting some ripe tomatoes.

I was just thinking that that would be the least of my worries down here. We are already getting some 90 and we aren't even in may. We get a little too hot in Aug for them and I usually take them out then. But you can put them back in Sept. and start all over. some years they will live all winter but not the last two. But I think that is a good idea for you Randy. I could see that helping.

I am concerned about global warming. The last frost date has changed in my area ten days in the past 8 or 9 years. Let's recycle people!!

Just thought you might like to see this pic. As most of you know I got a new camera for Christmas and I just take pics like a mad person. I was laying on the ground ( I know you thing I'm crazy, I want to do as much of that as possible before I can't anymore;) ) anyway I took this pic from under on of my toms. I thought it was cool.

Attachments

• tomato bloom.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 294
Jade we do recycle paper, bottles, cans but our recycler won't take a lot of things. We are on the outskirts of Austin and our mud has its own trash collection service and we can not recycle near what they can in the city. I'm really disappointed but then in Ks. we didn't really have much of a recycle at all there. so this is better.

Just thought you might like to see this pic. As most of you know I got a new camera for Christmas and I just take pics like a mad person. I was laying on the ground ( I know you thing I'm crazy, I want to do as much of that as possible before I can't anymore;) ) anyway I took this pic from under on of my toms. I thought it was cool.

way cool. I wish I could take that picture. I can get down but I can't get back up, lol

lovely contrast between the green leaves, yellow flowers and blue sky!
My daughter in law grew amazing roma tomatoes last year. She grew them in the 5 gallon pails like I do, but she has a great hot spot in the front of her house. It's sheltered on the 3 back sides, facing south, and is on a rock patio. There were still lovely tomatoes on the vines in November after we had had some frost! I don't have a really good spot like that for mine, and my roma's were not nearly as good. They seem to really like it hot!

way cool. I wish I could take that picture. I can get down but I can't get back up, lol

Funny thing is you don't realize how much something like that means until you can't do it anymore. I love laying around in the yard especailly under plants. What a cool prospective. An ants eye view:p

Jade, I am doing my part to recycle people. I am a designated organ donor if there are any good ones left when I don't need them any more.

I planted some of my tomato plants yesterday and some more today. So far I have Big Boy, Better Boy, Celebrity and Parks Whoppers. Have Marglobe ready to set out soon. Am so ready for a ripe tomato picked from the vine.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back