What Tomatoes are you going to grow?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thought it would be fun for everyone to post the tomatoes they are planning to grow this year.

So far I have 12 Big Boys. Plan to buy more plants this week to include Marion, Better Boy and some different heirloom tomatoes.

Kya D

DH Just bought heirloom Mr. Stripey, heirloom Brandywine, and hybrid early girl.
I sure hope they do well inside my wall o waters

Dor

I have bought Celebrity, Roma Mama, Sweet 100's, Roma, and patio plants. I started some large red cherry and small red cherry, black cherry, and brandy wine. Since we have long summers and I have a few more inderminate seeds I will start them. My tomatoes did best after Hurricane Ike(September 13th)

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have my seeds started in the greenhouse. I will be growing Big Boy, Better Boy, Celebrity, Roma, Sweet 100, and Sungold. I will have 3 or 4 Roma plants,a couple of Sungold (cherry), only one Sweet 100, and a couple of each of the others.

Dor

I forgot I have Black Krim, Mortgage Lifter, and Chocolate Cherry seeds I want to start. Some of these are going to grow in containers. I got my 2 topsy turvy plants together tonight so that I can start some in. I bought a couple of hanging baskets at the farmers market too. I want to like to buy one Bush champion tomato plant. I have read that starting plants in July is a good time because of our hot summers. I am going to try that this year.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sure wouldn't work here unless I wanted to make green tomato relish or something. Our spring has been considerably cooler than normal anyway, so I might still be in trouble for getting tomatoes to ripen.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dor I love the taste of Mortgage Lifter and Celebrity is one of my all time favorites along with Big and Better Boy.

Randy I hope you will have a long enough growing season. I am going to get some tomato plants this week in the gallon pots. That will get me a jump on growing. Can't wait to have my first ripe tomato. Bring on warm weather.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
DH Just bought heirloom Mr. Stripey, heirloom Brandywine, and hybrid early girl.
I sure hope they do well inside my wall o waters

I have the same ones. I went to that tomatoe link that was with the free basil seeds. But OMG the shipping was more then the plants. I just can't pay $60 for 12 plants.
Mine have all flowered and are looking good. But the stupid weatherman has decided we need a freeze so he is predicting one for Tuesday. I have to go cover all my toms. ( Planted about 30 as of right now. Will plant more as I find the ones I really want.

Blueaussi

Dor I love the taste of Mortgage Lifter and Celebrity is one of my all time favorites along with Big and Better Boy.

The heirloom tomato guy, um, Rogers' Tomatoes or something like that, will be at the flower festival in Florence this coming weekend. He had Mortgage Lifters this past weekend, but they are in small pots.

He's having an Heirloom tomato tasting this July up his way that I would like to try and attend. He's a really interesting man to talk to about tomatoes.

Blueaussi

Let's see, I'm growing New Big Dwarf, Stupice, Silvery Fir Tree, Cherokee Black, Tropic, Rose, Mexico, Eva Purple Ball, Giant Belgium, Ponderosa Red, Sungold, Yellow Current, Matt's Wild Cherry, Mule Team, Striped Cavern, Sun King, Amelia, and Bella Rosa. I think that's all.

The New Big Dwarf is actually an heirloom that is supposed to be easy to grow in containers, so I'm going to give that a try this year. The Stupice and Silvery fir tree will go into containers, too. The yellow current comes back in my yard as a volunteer every year, so when I say I'm growing it, I *hope* I'm growing it. I just love them, they're so sweet they hardly ever make it into the house, I pop them into my mouth like little bonbons while I'm walking around the garden.

palmettogal

We picked up Better Boys, Celebrity, Brandywine, Cherokee Black, and sweet 100's. I saw the Mortgage Lifter but didn't know anything about them. May go back and pick that one up as well. We've got 10 to put in the ground but will wait until Good Friday to plant. Supposed to frost/freeze the next two mornings anyway.

PRH

My usual as I have had luck with those in the soil I have:
Roma
Big Boy
Celebrity
( My garden's smaller then it once was,but I still seem to always find room to plant - as long as I keep it under contol,that is ) :p

Dor

That sure wouldn't work here unless I wanted to make green tomato relish or something. Our spring has been considerably cooler than normal anyway, so I might still be in trouble for getting tomatoes to ripen.

It was so hot by the end of June and early July last year Randy, that my tomatoes were really suffering. I had a huge one in a large container. It had tomatoes and was doing well. I had to water it everyday but eventually it stopped producing. What are some good peppers for salsa? Another subject, I know.

Dale, I bought the Mortgage Lifter seeds so need to get them started like yesterday so I can get them in the ground. I haven't seen any around here but since we have warm weather until November I hope I can them to produces for me. I will check Walmart or the feed store for Better Boy, Big Boy, and Early Girl. I need to get a few cuc plants too.

sunflower3

i have planted, roma, rutgers select,patio,beefsteak,cherry,yellow tomatillo,brandy wine, black russian and a few Others I can't rmember.

Jade

I have always loved Better Boys. I can get canning tomatoes for 6 bucks a half bushel just down the road. I will plant our eating tomatoes here, but buy them next door for canning.

R

RiverRock

I am having a lot of fun with tomatoes this year. I am trying some differant ones I have never tried or even heard of for that matter. An I think all of mine are heirlooms this year.

I am doing:

Grape
Ping pong
Striped cavern
Black krim
Burgess Stuffing
Amish yellow
Blue fruit
Cherokee chocolate
Homestead
snowwhite cherry
Oregon Spring
Tri color cherry
Tumbler
Honey grape

Most of these I have never tried. Tumbler and honey grape are hanging basket toms and I am looking foward to doing those:D

RR

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dorothy, I use a combination of peppers in the salsa that I make. I can't remember if I ever sent you one of my discs that has all the recipes on it. But I have about 30 plus recipes and that includes the really good ones and the ones that I consider failures. But the failures are still not that bad, just not as good as some of the others. But to answer your question, I would need a little more information. But let me start with this. I like hot salsa. My son-in-law likes medium salsa. The rest of the family likes mild salsa. So I have at least two really good recipes for each of those and in all my recipes, I use a combination of peppers. In one of the mild recipes, I use all sweet peppers such as bell peppers (red, green, and yellow), plus some sweet banana peppers. Another mild recipe I use has a few jalapeno peppers in it plus the sweet peppers, but just enough of the jalapenos in it to know they are there. For a hot salsa, I will use a combination of sweet peppers, jalapenos, and kick it up with some habaneros. If I haven't sent you a disc though, I really should so we can settle on what you might like.

Dor

You did send me a disc Randy so don't send another. I have printed out some of the recipes so I just need to take the time to read them. I like the medium salsa and that is about what my y family likes too but think I will make some hot as well if I get enough tomatoes and peppers.

Dor

With the temperature dropping so low tonight, I went out before the sun went down and covered my raised beds. My first three tomato plants are already blooming. The 2nd 3 plants are still small and I surely don't want to lose them. I had planted a Big Boy so just need to buy Better Boys and Early Girls.

I think I will plant one close to the front so that friends and vistors can grab a few when visiting like some of you posted. I have my topsy turvy plants ready to be planted and hung up. Anybody have any ideas how I can hang them from my eaves without damaging my aluminum siding? If I can't do that I guess I will drill into the brick or nail a piece of wood to the brick and hang them from there along my window in the breakfast room. That should be a delightful sight.

My neighbor next door has tomatoes and bell peppers already in a container. She cuts her's back and they continue to grow.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com