What's happening to my Tomato plants?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

LostinSpace

I just went out to water the garden and this is what I saw on the top of one of my tomatoes. I've never seen this before at all. Sorry for the poor picture quality, but I still have an ANCIENT phone.

The plants were not like this the last time I watered on Saturday.

Thanks in advance for your time.

30ccevq.jpg

fdecu0.jpg

Wow! That could be birds or bugs, maybe grasshoppers. The rest of the plants look healthy so they'll proly just branch out now. I'll check with some of the other members and get them on it too.

Btw, welcome to the forum! :D

Laurie you are exactly right.
About all you can do is check your plants everyday and pick the darn things off.

Welcome Lost,
Now you are found. :D
Laurie was exactly right. I Had a bad bugger in the garden last week. Neem Oil is very effective and organic if you decide you want to go that way.
Glad you found us. Come back soon and share and learn with us.

Knock 'em on the ground, they usually roll into a tight little circle. Insert firecracker into center of circle. Light fuse, step back and wait for BANG. No more issues with THAT worm.

You are one warped puppy Alan!
I just snip them in two with my pruners!
OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!
The more humane method is to simply squish them with your shoe! They don't fell a thing!

There doesn't seem to be anymore "damage." I went out with a flashlight last night and again tonight and didn't see any "shiny" things. Damn but that thing is Uuuuglyyyy.

On a positive note, I guess I don't have to "top" that particular plant out this year huh? :p

Last edited:
Knock 'em on the ground, they usually roll into a tight little circle. Insert firecracker into center of circle. Light fuse, step back and wait for BANG. No more issues with THAT worm.

LOL! Do you get any on ya? LOL! Green goo everywhere.
You could make bug juice too. I did that one year and it worked really well.

There doesn't seem to be anymore "damage." I went out with a flashlight last night and again tonight and didn't see any "shiny" things. Damn but that thing is Uuuuglyyyy.

On a positive note, I guess I don't have to "top" that particular plant out this year huh? :p

I do find that once they are gone , the plant recovers really nice. So you are right ;) no topping needed, unless they are already to leggy.

A tomato worm that I just picked off one of my plants

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313267268.645669.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313267268.645669.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 376
I found this guy today!
A parasitic wasp layed eggs on it!
The worm will be eaten from the inside out!
I don't kill these infected worms since it's nature's way of controlling these tomato pests!!
It is kind of gross! Imagine you being eaten from the inside out!!!

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 310
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 315
Also if you kill the worm you can kill the wasp eggs which you don't want to do.
Awesome pick Ron!

Nancie
At the point when I took the photo the white egg cases were empty and starting to fall off!
The worm looked like it was in a lot of pain and was very lethargic. I put him back on the plant to continue the process.

Neem oil is definitely a great option. Spraying is easier than looking for the pest and picking them off. But since it's organic it takes a little more time to work and multiple applications might be necessary.
Those pictures of the caterpillar covered with parasitic wasp eggs are awesome, Ron!

Hey Bren!
Thank you!
Welcome to our forum!
I prefer to either squish, or snip their heads off!
I leave the infected ones alone so the wasps can do their nasty to them!
I usually see two or three eggs rather then the dozen or so on the one I found!
They are easy to spot once I notice any leaves disappearing!

I like your blog!!

Welcome Bren,

Nice Blog!. I do something along those lines too. here in Florida we have been on water restrictions for years. 2 days a week , odd numbered addresses one set of days and evens the other. I use 250 gallon livestock tanks . They have a "drain" fitting at the bottom that a 1 1/2 inch threaded hose bib will screw right in to. Then I can just hook a hose to it and gravity does the rest. It helps if they are elevated a bit , then the flow is a little fatser.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back