What's the strangest gardening thing that you do?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished doing some yard work, and I got to wondering. What's the most unusual gardening related thing you do in your yard?

We all do the usual stuff, plant, weed, mow, fill the bird bath and feeder, prune, plant flowers.

But what unusual stuff do you do? Do you have any techniques that are odd, or things that aren't on the typical garden to-do list?

BTW - This place is rated PG, so keep it clean. ;)

I'll start it off, and it's why I thought of the subject.

Today I pressure washed my rock garden. Yep, for real... I live in Seattle, and all of the rocks had either moss or algae growing on them. They were all a dark green, and didn't look that nice. Don't get me wrong, I love moss and dark green rocks by a stream look great. But as a rock garden? My colorful rocks had turned into a big pile of green that lacked any interest or definition.

I was pressure washing the patio to get ready to put out the grill and patio furniture. My rock garden is next to it, and it's not very big. So I figured why not give it a try? I did and I think it looks a lot better!

So that's mine. I pressure wash the rock garden! (Or at least I have once. Not sure when I'll do it again....)

The end result:
rocks1.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the algae on the large white rock in the center. Looks like I missed some and need to do a bit more. Couldn't really see it until they dried off. At one point, all of the rocks were that color!

The train wind spinner is a gift from the grandsons, so it gets a place of honor front and center. :)

Last edited:
What to do with 2 trunks on a dead ash tree!
I created a trellis to grow Virginia Creeper and a Clematis.
I used bamboo stakes....drilled 2 inch holes every 6-7 inches all the way up bothe trunks....inserted and bent the stakes to fit into the holes....
Planted a bergenia in the rotted base of the trunks....It works for me!

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 272
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    308.7 KB · Views: 269
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 267
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 270
What to do with 2 trunks on a dead ash tree!
I created a trellis to grow Virginia Creeper and a Clematis.
I used bamboo stakes....drilled 2 inch holes every 6-7 inches all the way up bothe trunks....inserted and bent the stakes to fit into the holes....
Planted a bergenia in the rotted base of the trunks....It works for me!
That's super cool Ron

I don't have any pictures, so I'll have to add them later. We purchased approximately 7 Acres last here. That have been abused as a dump for the last 20 years, with people dumping especially storm debris. There is a huge oak tree that had been cut up and dumped. The center of it is mostly Hollow. I am using it to make planners for my bromeliad. I will be sure to add pictures as soon as I can get back over there and take them. I am also used all the debris from Docks & Decks that were dumped, and have begun making compost bins and raised beds

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back