What's wrong with my grandma's tomatoes?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

HarrisB

Hi everybody,

I bought some tomato plants for myself and my grandma from the same shelves at Home Depot. My four are doing fine, but hers have a problem. The newer leaves are all twisted, stretched, skinny, and curled up! What's going on? Can we do something about it?

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• tomato 1.jpg
    tomato 1.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 241
  • tomato 2.jpg
    tomato 2.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 233

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Leaf curl can be caused by a lot of things. Transplant shock, over fertilizing, disease.
Let’s start with the basics though. It can be as simple as too much or too little watering. What’s the soil like? Is it dry or excessively damp?

HarrisB

Leaf curl can be caused by a lot of things. Transplant shock, over fertilizing, disease.
Let’s start with the basics though. It can be as simple as too much or too little watering. What’s the soil like? Is it dry or excessively damp?

Her soil has good drainage and I don’t think it’s too damp. Also, she has some other newer tomato plants in the same area without leaf curl, planted after this problem showed up.

She feels like it got too cold a few nights after she planted these, and thinks that may be the problem. Could that be it?

Do you know of any diseases that cause this symptom - leaf curling like this with no yellowing?

Thank you!

bob

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it could’ve been a touch of frost, sounds like a good possibility. Have they changed any?

I’m sorry, but I don’t know the diseases well enough to guess which it might be.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
She feels like it got too cold a few nights after she planted these, and thinks that may be the problem. Could that be it?
Hi Harris! Your grandma is more than likely right! Tomato plants are sensitive to cold temps. Once the plants start putting on new growth the new leaves should be normal!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com