When best to re-plant roses?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

Several weeks ago I took out 5 mature dwarf roses from a certain part of my yard, where I now have an Idaho locust. I must not have taken out all the roots, because now I am seeing 5 small shoots of roses, including one that is blooming. They are all about 3 inches or shorter. I would like to leave a couple in (I think they would look nice around the Idaho locust, especially when it has pink blossoms), but the rest, I'd prefer to uproot and plant somewhere else.

My question is---how long should I wait, or how tall should these rose shoots get, before I uproot them? If I wait too long, I might stress the plants by separating them from a root system that they depend on, but I don't want to stress them out by uprooting them when they are too young and fragile.

Those sound like seedlings!
The seeds dropped and sprouted.
Give then a soak and in a couple of hours, or so, you can dig them up. I'd pot them up and put place them in a shaded area for a week, keeping an eye on them to see if they recover from the stess from being dug up, water accordingly. Then you can plant them out in the garden.
Try to dig deep!
Use a sterile soil-less potting mix!

OK, will do.

Not wanting to kill them and botch the job, let me just verify--you'd recommend taking them out now, as opposed to letting them mature a bit?

You can do it now.....after you give them a good soaking....then wait a couple of hours. Then you can pot them up, if you like, or just move them to a new area!
I find moving seedlings easier then more mature plants!

Thanks, Ron, I have appreciated your responses. Like I said, I was just making sure. Roses are such beautiful plants, and after nursing several re-planted roses back to health, I didn't want to goof this job up.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back