When fruits and veggies go rogue

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Soooooo
The verdict on what this is😁
Everyone guessed everything from squash varieties to watermelons.
Some of you were right, but still wrong. So here's the scoop.

I know, or thought I knew that I had not planted this. I had recently moved my compost bins to our new place in preparation for selling our house. This mysterious squash,melon vine began growing. The leaves can compete with the biggest pumpkins in any contest. The fruits look confused between watermelon and acorn squash but as big as ripe pumpkins. 🤔
Posted on Facebook, it received a field of guesses.
So this morning I was talking to my neighbor who was a commercial farmer in Georgia for many years. I asked him if he would tell me his opinion of what this was. Instantly his response was, citron. So you might ask what is that , just as I did.

I would seem, that when watermelon seeds are buried very deep in the ground, such as the case in my 20 year old compost bin, they mutate in a matter of explanation. When they are turned up, this is the crazy fruit that is produced. He said you can't eat them like a watermelon, that they are not good, but that some old timers will make "pickles" out of them. (Which I may try , since I have put so much time into babying this plant LOL)
Furthermore, he said that the Citron will cause your other melons to go sour and lose their sweetness. Luckily this is not near my regularly planted Garden, so I don't think I have that to worry about.

Now with all that said, I have not had time to look that information up. But I'm anxious to hear if anyone else is ever heard of this phenomena.

20200422_174932.jpg

I should have known that! It has been many years since I'd seen a citron! My Dad planted huge vegetable gardens and here and there a citron would grow. We didn't know where they came from! My mom said you could make preserves with them but she never bothered. They have no taste, at least not a good taste.

I'd like to see what it looks like on the inside. Please post a photo when the 'melon' finally ripens. It'll be interesting to see!

It will be white on the inside when ready. I'm still up in the air on this as all citrons I have ever seen had a smooth outside like a watermelon. Not my pic but this is what we had.

citron.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The photo looks like a variation of an acorn squash! This is why I'd love to see it cut in half!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back