Whipping my flower beds into shape

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dor

Antonio my yardman and I have been working on my flower beds this morning. When I looked outside at 8am he was already here. I decided to take my shower and join him. I pruned while he weeded and mulched. He is gone to pick up more mulch and I decided to take a break. I picked up some bags of manure and humus form HD. Has anyone every used Chicken manure in their garden? I am thinking about getting some from someone my mom knows and having my son bring it to me tomorrow.

Attachments

• tn_gardening038.JPG
    tn_gardening038.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 274
  • tn_gardening037.JPG
    tn_gardening037.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 279
  • gardening022.jpg
    gardening022.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

Dor

More cleanup work of my flower beds

Here's a few more pics of our cleanup work.

Attachments

• tn_gardening026.JPG
    tn_gardening026.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 262
  • tn_gardening033.JPG
    tn_gardening033.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 282
  • tn_gardening030.JPG
    tn_gardening030.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 291

Dor

Well, I better leave the chicken manure alone Dawn as I don't have time to let it age. Antonio finished mulching all the flower beds in the front today. It tooj 2 1/2 yards of mulch. Now on to the back yard. I won't need as much for the back.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great Dor! I will be doing mine this Friday and weekend. I am so far behind.
About the Chicken manure, do you know, 1 blob, pellet or whatever you want to call it , mixed in on gallon of water will make a great liquid fertilizer. Just one dropping is enough to do a lot of plants. You want to make sure you mix it well and it is all disolved , otherwise the last portion will be very strong. You should shake the jug every so often to insure it stays mixed up;)

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got plenty of blobs around here. I was watching the chickens scratching around yesterday. They do a pretty good job of excavating or tilling.

Dor

my yard and gardens

Antonio came back yesterday and put the compost into my raised beds for me. I am glad he did since the bags are pretty heavy. He put the mulch in them too. I should have told him not to put the mulch down but that is ok I will just move it back to plant and the little seedling with just have to peek through the mulch.

Attachments

• tn_gardening002.JPG
    tn_gardening002.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 294
  • tn_gardening009.JPG
    tn_gardening009.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 243
  • tn_gardening010.JPG
    tn_gardening010.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 247
  • tn_gardening012.JPG
    tn_gardening012.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 254

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had an e-mail from my other son-in-law last evening and he and my daughter have put a raised bed in their back yard. He borrowed my trailer last evening also to haul stuff to fill it up. I'm pleased they are going to have a small garden at least. It's surprising what you can get out of a 4' x 8' space if you work at it.

Dor

Yes it is surprising what you can grow in those small spaces Randy. I have filled three of them already and spent my budget over $300 for the month getting my yard and flower/garden beds ready. When I get my check for this month I am going to have two more raised beds made and get another 1/2 yard of mulch for my back flower beds.

I have sweet and hot peppers on my window sill, lemon cucs, and assorted tomatoes.
Six tomatoes and 3 jalapenas on the front porch and nowhere to grow them. I will go to HD and Houston Garden center to see if I can get some 5 gallon pots to grow some in and sell some to my neighbors for $1 or $2 each. I still want to grow some squash, purple hull peas, and speckled butter bean. I am determine to can some salsa this year.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did four batches of salsa, but I wanted to get one more batch done of 'mild', but didn't make it. I was going to make more jam also, but didn't get all the berries done. I still managed to do over 200 jars though, so it's not like I don't have any left. I am just about out of my favorites though (blueberry).

Dor

Randy, you are the Salsa King. I just want to be a Salsa baby and just manage to can a few jars for my family. I can't believe my nine year old grandson kept asking me to plant cucumbers. I think I sowed enough seeds to make him happy.

Thanks Sandi and Randy my beds do look nice if I must say so myself. I am looking forward to getting a couple more. I might even place one on the east side of my house and grow some cucs with my roses.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did I ever send you some of my salsa, Miss Dorothy? If I haven't, I should have. I have hidden some jars so David can't find them, but he is pretty good at sniffing out the hiding places. He is doing pretty well this year though and he still has about half of the salsa left that I made just for him.

Dor

No, Randy but you sentr me some of you jam and I finished that off so fast. It was boyenberry and blackberry. Both were delicious.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay, but I have to ask you the question now. How hot do you like your salsa; mild, medium, or hot? I gave a jar of 'mild' salsa to my diabetes nurse, dietician, counselor and she said it tasted like pickles. It had no hot peppers in it at all and there is vinegar in it, for sure. And it also has cucumbers in it. The cucumbers are in there as a result of having an excess of cukes one year and Fiona used some to add to a salsa batch. The amount of vinegar was derived by comparing the ingredients to a similar salsa in the Ball Blue book. Five out of the seven of us here prefer the mild salsa. David likes it in the medium range and I like it in the 'hot' or 'medium-hot' range. The batch of salsa that I didn't get around to was another 'mild' recipe, but it has some hot peppers in it, but just enough to know they are there and not enough to make someone uncomfortable enough to have to reach for the milk or bread.

Dor

Okay, but I have to ask you the question now. How hot do you like your salsa; mild, medium, or hot? I gave a jar of 'mild' salsa to my diabetes nurse, dietician, counselor and she said it tasted like pickles. It had no hot peppers in it at all and there is vinegar in it, for sure. And it also has cucumbers in it. The cucumbers are in there as a result of having an excess of cukes one year and Fiona used some to add to a salsa batch. The amount of vinegar was derived by comparing the ingredients to a similar salsa in the Ball Blue book. Five out of the seven of us here prefer the mild salsa. David likes it in the medium range and I like it in the 'hot' or 'medium-hot' range. The batch of salsa that I didn't get around to was another 'mild' recipe, but it has some hot peppers in it, but just enough to know they are there and not enough to make someone uncomfortable enough to have to reach for the milk or bread.

I like mine mild to medium Randy more towards medium. Here at my house we just like salsa, pico de gallo, pickled jalapenas, anything spicey.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com