White Pine weeping sap

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

shadylane5acres

Thought at first we had some type of fungus growing on the lower branches, it started to turn light to red brown in mid summer now it is up to the top branches, but only on one half side of tree. Noticed today that sap was dripping down from the dead looking branches...what trouble is this tree having, and what can We do to save the tree?

Out here in the west, we have problems with the gypsy moth. I'm not saying that's what it is though. I would get in touch with your county extension office and look for one of their experts.

Shady, where is the tree situated, and how old is it?
It sounds like salt spray damage!
Other then that, it could be any number of other problems such as pine borers that eat the live tissue under the bark! Secondary infection such as fungi and bacteria will occure.
Since the damage is occuring on one side of the tree all you can do is remove the whole tree. The dead branches wil not regrow and the whole tree will not look good.

Here is our white pine that is infected. It had already been here when we bought the property some 22 years ago. The tree is located north east of the house.

Randy that could be, we have had the Gypsy moth here and farmers have been moderating it's being setting traps at different locations. I'll look into that and see what I can find.

Ron, the pine bores bringing up the fungal bacteria could also be the culprit. My husband and I thought it to be some type of fungal problem. I had purchased fungal disease and insect spray, plus copper soap fungicide in case it is needle blight today. I don't know for sure what this is. I've been looking for answers about this and I'm starting to become :confused:confused due to there being so many possibilities. I suppose we'll try and doctor the poor sad looking tree. Cure it or Kill it, we can't due to much more damage to it.

I'm trying to send up pictures of it...crossed fingers

A photo would be great Shady!
If it's gypsy moth damage you would not have needles, since they would eat them down to the branch leaving the branch bare.

Last edited:
Thank you Ron, with the Gypsy moth, I'm going to try again with the pictures. I don't know if I'm doing it right, It did not come up for me..I'll give it another go... 000_0005_00.jpg

Thank you Ron for taking the time to help out. The information you gave certainly sounds like what we have here..I took a second look at the photos and it does appear to whorl upwards. I do think it is as you said the weevil.
This is not good, we have several different types of evergreens around the property. The good news is that we can control it and keep the other evergreens from becoming infected with the weevil. Spraying is the only route to take since this insect is only 1/4" length. We will have to managed removing the branches and burn them.

Thank you Randy for your time also...and again thank you Ron.

I would not be as presumptuous as to say what is ailing this fine tree but I would suggest contacting your local extension office to get a definitive diagnosis before beginning any kind of treatment. If it is something that is treatable you don't want to waste valuable time and resources treating the wrong thing. If you contact them they can tell you exactly what you need to send them so they can provide a diagnosis.

Cheers,

Dora/GardenGoddess

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back