Wilt or Not ??

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok Usually I don't have a problen indentifying diseases but I am not sure if this is the begining of Fusarium wilt or not. First these are Blak Kims which I have not planted in a while so not sure if this is naturally occuring with them or not. Notice the leaves in the top right of pic are folding up and rolling in , not drooping down as usually with wilt.These leaves are purple on the back( which is a black kim trait) and look healthy. Not discoloration or leaf drop yet. But the entire plant is doing this as is all the balck kims but other types are not. I have to try to get a better pic I stopped in the drive way and ran to the garden to snap the pic , Tim was rushing me to get out of his way so I only snapped the one. I will get more this weekend.
I plant to use organic cooper sulfate this weekend. Hope it's not wilt :(

Attachments

• DSC03469.jpg
    DSC03469.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Upon some quick research this looks most like "physiological leaf roll" however none of the condiditons that cause this are present. Now I am really puzzled. I keep getting contridicting information from site to site. My rodale book says with fursarium the leaves will roll down another sites say nothing about rolling leaves associated with fusarium. No cool extended rainy periods, I don't fertilize so that's not it. It is only happening to the black kims and it is almost the entire plant,and they are right next to the Germans. ( yes I have and ethnically diverse garden ) Because I also have the cuban squash. LOL!
Back to the leaf issue. I ahte to think I would end up with a loss on the tomatoes.
Help reassure me everthing is ok. Oh another tip the black kims are the only ones with no flowers and no tomatoes.

Last edited:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nancie
I'd pull them and bag them as you go along pulling them up!
Do not compost! Wash your hands with a hand sanitizer (your choice) as well as any tools you used! Take your clothes off and throw them in the wash, and sanitize your shoes! That would cover the hygien aspect!
Next step....if you have the room elsewhere..plant a new crop of tomato plants!!
Do not plant tomatoes in that spot for a few years, as well as potatoes and peppers.
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Pests/Diseases/tomaprob.htm

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
OH double Boo. I'll pull them tonight :( My plants don't look as bad as the link but I guess it's better to get them now. I will solarize that spot and not replant them there. I rotate crops every year. I did get some mushroom compost and some road side grass clipping you think it came from that??

Last edited:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The mushroom compost is alright, but the grass clippings may be suspect!
Solarizing the area is a great idea!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com