Winter Sowing

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Have you ever Winter Sowed?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I've thought about it

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone do this? I have for the last couple of yrs. Not sure if I am going to do it this winter or not. Didn't get containers saved. Might do a couple. Will have to go though my seeds and see what I have to ws.

brassi

I do alot of winter sowing, especally of early lettuces and spinach. There are many hardy winter perennials( coropisis, brown eyed susans, coneflowers,) and herbs that grow better with winter sowing, such as fennel, parsley, sages, and winter savorys.

Natloo

I read some on it and have a TON of containers saved so I'm going to try a few flower seed and some spinach ... if I can ever find the time! Would I have had to start by now or is it okay to wait until after the holidays?

Remy

I bought my big bag of potting mix today and hauled it into the basement. I will be starting to make containers to out on Monday when I have off of work. The perennials that need a cold period for seed germination will be first. Then I will do perennials that don't need cold and cold hardy veggies. Lastly I will work on annuals. So I sort of spread it out between now and the end of March. It makes it more enjoyable and less like work.

Dora,
It is hard to know for sure what went wrong, but there are a few major things that often cause low/no germination. One is not enough soil in the containers. I've found that you need about 3" so the soil doesn't dry out. Morning sun only also helps prevent drying out of the containers come spring. Two is simple enough, bad seeds. I found most of my questionable seeds were ones that I had problems with. Three is leaving the lids on when temps start getting warm. At 70 degrees outside I've found my containers with lids getting up to about 90 degrees and that is morning sun only.
I do like putting my containers on the east side of my garage so they get only morning sun. Besides helping with drying and overheating issues, it prevents the wind from knocking my containers around.
Remy

Gardengoddess

I've got some seeds on the ways that require chilling. I figure I'll try some of those for winter sowing and I'll try some the under lights in the basement way and see what I get :) I have a perfect spot for morning sun only, I'll try putting them there.

Dora/Garden Goddess

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com