Wisteria Trees

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Jade

Has anyone ever trained a wisteria into a tree form? I started one in Ontario about 7 years ago, but never had a chance to enjoy it at maturity. We went out garden center shopping yesterday and I saw some beauties that were probably ten years old and all ready to pop open. I have seen very mature ones in the past and they are very cool.
These beauties that I saw yesterday were very reasonably priced (in my mind if something is ten years old it is worth paying for...they were 92 buck). I might have to take hubby over there to pick up one of these babies. Hmm.

Dor

I have never had luck with wisterias here. My mother always had them and I have taken cuttings and dug up roots but they never servived.

Spider_Lily

There's wisteria 's trained here into tree's everywhere you look.And some that has taken over tree's.Their in full bloom now it's a beautiful site.I have the purple .I cut back the runner's and after it bloom's trim it back into tree form.Here's a tree it has taken over now this is a beautiful site.Will try to find picture's of the trained wisteria can't seem to find the file for it.:)

Attachments

• Flowers -10 012.JPG
    Flowers -10 012.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 330

Jade

What I have in mind is shorter than that, and definitely better groomed. I do think that they are lovely when they are well maintained.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wisteria a vine that HAS TO BE constantly clipped to keep it under control!
Another vine is Trumpet Vine!!

Jade

Yup, I KNOW Ron, but I have seen it trained into a tree, I understand that it will need major maintainance.

Spider_Lily

What I have in mind is shorter than that, and definitely better groomed. I do think that they are lovely when they are well maintained.
I know Jade just sharing the tree it has taken over in the area.Mine is cut back into a neat tree also .When I get some batteries for my camera I will make a picture of mine .It looks alot better then the over grown tree.It's kinda on it's on.LOL:)

Jade

I still think that I want to take it on!! I do love them as vines in the right area, my first job that I ever had (when I was 15, holy cow, that was a lot of years ago), was gardening for a retired couple. They had a wisteria vine that was soooooooo awesome, but it was huge and one of my tasks was to keep it pruned weekly.

Kchar

Sorry, Jade, I can't help you with that. We have wisteria covering a pergola providing blessed shade in the summer. I was hesitant to plant, as they are so invasive, but I couldn't resist :) And it is so beautiful. The home behind us has wisteria tangled in their 50 foot pine trees. The bane of my gardening as I am forever chasing after its runners! Regarding buying the "tree," I would say "Go for it!"

Kimberly

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Wisteria is really pretty but it just doesn't bloom long enough to deal with all the maintance it requires to contain it. It's very invasive in SC, growing all around so I can enjoy the blooms without the work. There's one area near me that has an infestation of white wisteria.

Jade

From all of the negative feedback that I am getting I may just go with a White Fringe Tree or a Kousa dogwood. I am very torn up having downsized in yard from an acre to 1/3rd acre. I told my hubby in 5 years I want to sell this house and get a tiny house on 3 acres. Hmm, he didn't agree.

Jade

Sorry, Jade, I can't help you with that. We have wisteria covering a pergola providing blessed shade in the summer. I was hesitant to plant, as they are so invasive, but I couldn't resist :) And it is so beautiful. The home behind us has wisteria tangled in their 50 foot pine trees. The bane of my gardening as I am forever chasing after its runners! Regarding buying the "tree," I would say "Go for it!"

Kimberly

I am taking hubby to Longwood Gardens for 2 days this month, I am so excited. I hope that you have ventured there. I lived in that area when my boys were 3 and 5 and got a yearly pass, kids were free. We went 3 times a week. I loved it each and every time. I can't wait to go! That was almost 20 years ago. Wow, I am ancient these days.

Jade

We just got back from Longwood and I took pictures of the Wisteria Trees, they were in full bloom and just beautiful! I will try to post them when we get back home. It was an awesome day at Longwood, but we are tired and sore from all of the walking. We took a behind the scenes tour of their production facilities and saw how they do their tissue culture and plant breeding. It was a truly awesome day with temperature in the low 70s and sunny. We were there for 6 hours and didn't see the whole place.

Last edited:

Maggie

I think they are very pretty but I can't seem to grow them. They always die. There is a house not to far from me that has one and theirs is only about 4ft high and about 20 to 25ft around. When it is in bloom it is gorgeous with all the blooms hanging nearly to the ground. I have never seen a wisteria tree grow as tall as the one in your picture. It is a beauty tho.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com