Worm On My Tomato Plant!!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

I went outside today and found that one of my precious tomato plants had been cut in half with only a little stem left above ground. When I looked over I found the rest of the plant (plant was only 4 or 5 inches tall) laying on the ground with a black worm next to it!

And why I didn't kill the worm I dont know..but I will be very P.O. if I find any other plants damaged. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

I have never really experienced any pests in my garden, but then again I have never gardened this early in the year.

I'm so mad, I'm gonna find that worm and kill it! :mad:

Cutworm! Nasty little beggers! It is the larvae of a moth! To varify, they usually roll up when disturbed! Various species.
They always snip off seedlings close to the ground!
I would have crushed it!!! It will go after your other seedlings!!
You can place a ring around each seedling to protect them. Just cut the bottom off plastic/styroform cups and place then over the seedlings! Push the base of the cup down about an inch into the soil! The worms wont bother since they do not climb!
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/00-055.htm

Yes Kya it did look like that. And yes Ron your right. The other day I came across one and it curled up and I thought nothing of it. Good thing I have another tomato plant to replace this one with. I am going to try cutting a straw in half and then lengthwise to wrap around it. What is the purpose of snipping off the stem? Oh ....Thank you guys.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back