Xeriscape in bloom at Wells Branch Community Garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

P

Pam/Digging

May 14, 2020
Xeriscape_garden_Retama-1.jpg

Lemon-lime retama trees in bloom caught my eye recently as I drove by the Wells Branch Community Garden and its native xeriscape garden.

Retama_in_bloom-1.jpg

Someone takes really good care of this waterwise garden, which dresses up the exterior of the walled community-garden plots. Until a few years ago it was just a tiny bed with a couple of agaves. After those agaves bloomed and died, the bed was ambitiously expanded, and now it’s eye-catchingly planted with drought-tolerant and sun-loving plants like retama (Parkinsonia aculeata), a green-trunked native tree with butter-yellow flowers in spring.

Retama_Red_yucca-1.jpg

Red yucca (Hesperaloe parviflora), with slender, hummingbird-attracting bloom spikes that flower for weeks at a time.

Agave_ovatifolia_Retama-1.jpg

Whale’s tongue agave (Agave ovatifolia), a solitary (non-pupping) agave that looks like a big blue rose. It appreciates filtered shade like that provided by the airy retama, or morning sun with afternoon shade. It grows just fine in full sun too, although it sometimes suffers sun scorch during especially hot Texas summers.

Ghost_plant-1.jpg

Ghost plant (Graptopetalum paraguayense), a cold-hardy, pinkish-gray succulent. This plant thrives in pots in my shady garden, and I hadn’t really seen it in full-sun conditions, but it looks happy.

Mistflower_Butterfly-1.jpg

Gregg’s mistflower (Conoclinium greggii) needs more water than other plants here, but it’s a lovely native perennial that butterflies adore, especially in the fall.

Queen_Victoria_agaves-1.jpg

All hail the Queen Victoria agave (Agave victoriae-reginae), a tidy, symmetrical beauty of an agave. It craves full sun, excellent drainage, and being left alone, like Greta Garbo.

Queen_Victoria_agave-1.jpg

I love the white outlining along each leaf’s edge and creased planes.

Red_yucca_Artichoke_agave_Retama-1.jpg

Artichoke agave (Agave parryi var. truncata), at lower left, is another not-too-big, winter-hardy agave. Notice there’s not one weed or sprig of Bermudagrass in the crushed-rock mulch. As I said, this garden is beautifully maintained.

Mistflower_Agave_ovatifolia-1.jpg

Gregg’s mistflower and whale’s tongue agave

Agave_ovatifolia-1.jpg

Another whale’s tongue agave, I think — maybe the ‘Vanzie’ cultivar?

Mistflower_Opuntia-1.jpg

More mistflower with a spineless prickly pear (Opuntia), an excellent “evergreen” for a xeric garden.

Retama_Cenizo-1.jpg

Cenizo (Leucophyllum frutescens), the gray-green shrub in the foreground, is another super-tough evergreen for a low-water Central Texas garden.

Retama-1.jpg

But it was the showy retama flowers that made me hit the brakes, and so that’s what I’ll leave you with.

I welcome your comments; please scroll to the end of this post to leave one. If you’re reading this in a subscription email, click here to visit Digging and find the comment box at the end of each post.

Digging Deeper: News and Upcoming Events

Join the mailing list for Garden Spark! Hungry to learn about garden design from the experts? I’m hosting a series of talks by inspiring garden designers, landscape architects, and authors a few times a year. Held in Austin, the talks are limited-attendance events that sell out quickly, so join the Garden Spark email list to be notified in advance. Simply click this link and ask to be added.

All material © 2020 by Pam Penick for Digging. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

The post Xeriscape in bloom at Wells Branch Community Garden appeared first on Digging.

QlPp-QRxRrk

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com